Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Some of my downlighters have stopped working, when I checked them I noticed the two wires had melted together at the base of the fitting where the bulb pushes in.

I have bought new fitting but cannot get the unit out of the ceiling. The unit has an aluminium tube attached to it which will only come out so far.

How do I release it to replace the fitting that the bulb pushes into?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No

I have tried looking for it on the net but can't find it.

It has a label on it saying IBL lighting HEATSEAL.

Any Help

Is it like this?

26859.jpg

Sponsored Links
I know it sounds obvious, but you have released the clips that hold the fitting into the ceiling? Otherwise, they will only come out to so far, at which point the springs are under so much tension that you will either damage the ceiling or simply wont be able to remove the fitting.

It looks like the example but has a metal tube attached to it which is 21cm deep and goes into the ceiling.

How do I release the clips that hold it into the ceiling?

I can feel see where the unit is resistant but cannot see how to release anything.

See this http://www.ibl.co.uk/downloads/catalogue/4_fusion_lv.pdf page 62

It shows the (firerated) fitting has regular spring wing clips to hold it in the ceiling,

pull the fitting down a bit and you should be able to see the clips horizontally against the upper surface of the ceiling. You should then be able to pull the fitting down a bit more so the clip goes upwards to almost vertical.

Hold the clips firmly against the "tube" as you pull it out or you'll get a painful whack on your knuckles.

If this doesn't work, it may have spring steel wings riveted to the side of the tube. You need to turn the unit as you pull it downwards, as if undoing a screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back