Spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My spotlights recently tripped the RCD when I found the offending bulb I noticed the two wires had melted together at the base of the fitting where the bulb pushes in. I pulled the wires apart and cut off the melted wires and the fitting. With the wires cut the RCD wont come back on, I presume this is normal. The forks on the bulb were now black and I presume the fitting is now broken. Any ideas what went wrong and where I can get a replacement fitting.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if the RCD won't reset, then you've still got a fault to earth, or have screwed your RCD..

pull the rest of the wires out of the ceiling and see if any more of it is damaged...

are these spotlights 12V or 240V?

Not sure what voltage they are I would need to check. I will have a look further back the wires and see what is happening.

Thanks

Hi, how long have these lights been installed for? Spotlights do produce a fair amount of heat and are recommended to be a certain distance apart (usually about 50cm, but should say on installation instructions).

Shouldn't be a cable size issue for spotlights!!

Is there anything else on the circuit not working? RCD generally trip or will not reset if cables are disturbed mid way through a circuit, or there may be a more underlying issue.

Do these spotlights require an earth??

Sponsored Links
They are 12v and only been installed 3 years as its a new house. They are all spaced correctly apart. Everything is working correctly and had no problems previously.

I cant tell if they need to be earthed as they were already installed. I can only see the L & N wires.

These are extra low voltage spotlights that do not require an earth so the rcd is picking up an inbalance between line and neutral, which is why it will not reset.

You should be able to get a replacment fitting at electrical shops such as CEF, DC Homewood, Kew etc.. or could got try B&Q which have quite a good range.

Usually with these kind of lights there is a rod which holds the wires and terminals away from the light fitting to stop the heat generated affecting the cable in any way. Is this present? If not i would suggest that this is the reason for the rcd tripping and wires melting.

A new fitting and the line and neutral reconnected away from the bulb itself and you should have no more issues. You should check the other lights to see if the connections are away from the bulbs to stop this happening with any other one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back