Halogen downlight problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had 4 Halogen spotlights professionally fitted a year ago in my bathroom. Recently one bulb died so I changed it for another but it was 35W and I didn't realise and i replaced it with a 50W bulb

It worked fine for a day then wouldn't work but if I took it out and jiggled it a bit it worked again for another day and so on for a few days

After a week I checked with one of the others that the bulb was correct and then realised my mistake. The wires connecting the transformer to the GU4 terminal were staring to melt so I removed the bulb and the wires. I am trying to order a new GU4 connector but can't find any anywhere. I have a GU10 so first question , I assume I can mix and match ok?

Second issue, though is that the bulb I removed to check the wattage started doing exactly the same thing. It worked for a bit then didn't but would if it was reseated for a bit and its wires are also starting to blacken as if they are melting but this is exactly the same bulb that has always been in there. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If wires are starting to melt as you say then I would be inclined to get the electrician back and have them checked. Afterall, its only a year old.
It sounds as though he didn't use big enough cable for them.

problem is he is no longer around and I'd rather not pay out again!

the connectors look like they are pretty much sealed units though - I don't think he made them.

I replaced all of the connectors with GU10 connectors instead of the GU4 connectors. The cables look much more robust. Everything else remains the same but now none of the lighst come on - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
GU 10'S are 240V & GU4'S are 12V as far as I recall so you cannot swop the 2 & you may even have goosed your original transformers. you need to start again from scratch & ensure that the fittings are not covered with any form of insulation that restricts airflow around them causing the cables to overheat. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGLVLH.html & do not try to fit 240v lamps to 12v fittings I doubt if they are earthed & not designed to be interchanged.

Thanks!!

I have replaced the GU10 with the 2 good GU4s and I am back to where I were.

Question is where can I get 2 replacement GU4 connectors?

Sorry hadn't looked at the link

Cheers for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back