Downlights For Canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having this canopy installed and want to have two downlights and a PIR.

Do I need any special downlights for outdoors or any indoor downlight such as the Ansell Prism that I use indoors is fine ?

Attachments

• IMG_3024.png
    IMG_3024.png
    723.2 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
It is had to answer, where I use to live we could get driving rain, and any outside light could get water in, so had to be sure there was a way for water to get out again, and use items not likely to corrode, but this house in a valley we don't get driving winds, and I have had a bulkhead lamp with the glass hanging off, on my to do list, but now been 4 years without a problem.

Personally I would want a lamp holder that will take smart bulbs, so would want GU10 in your case so the option is there. I have had problems with PIR control, I know a waving tree should not set them off, but also know they do, likely shielding some inferred source like a central heating flue. But length of my back garden don't know how, and also other PIR controlled lamps, had a neighbour with a flood lamp, which if triggered would turn off my outside lamp as so bright, once it switched off, my outside lamp would switch back on, which would then trigger the neighbours light. So would then flash on/off all night. At that time no smart bulbs.

So here google home collects all the outside lights together, and I can even set geofencing if I want on some of them, so mobile phone and voice control has replaced the PIR. There are a couple remaining, but most are smart controlled. No longer have I got to mess around with PIR settings and masks to stop the light it controls turning it off again. Or every passing car turning it on.

So wire and lamp in a way which allows change, make sure you can turn off PIR or over ride PIR. Real pain when you can't access wiring to change, and neighbour fits a lamp which upsets yours.

Something with a Higher IP rating just in case they are exposed to the weather. You could use a PIR that is recessed similar to the downlight(s)

Sponsored Links
A downlight that is suitable for a bathroom would be fine. Look for one with a rating of IP44 or higher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back