Downlights in lounge? IP rating? Cost? Supplier?

I'm sorry, you've lost me now. I would be advised not to have downlights at all?! By who?

Knowing the local council and the issues we've had with getting permission to even sneeze in our house, if they don't deem downlights to be a problem, then I'll take that as good to go ....

Are you saying that I would be ok not to have fire rated downlights (I prob would anyway) ?!

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, you've lost me now. I would be advised not to have downlights at all?! By who?
By quite a few of us.

Downlights (assuming you mean the 2" diameter ones) are not designed to actually light up rooms - in fact they are deliberately designed to be bad at that, which is why whenever you see them used there are masses of them employed to get round their poor ability to light up the room.

The halogen lamps for them are on the way out, the form factor is compromised for LED or CFL, and the latter are often longer than the fitting so they stick out. More and more people are coming to realise their disadvantages, regard them as a negative feature when buying houses.

They are going out of fashion and out of favour.

Are you saying that I would be ok not to have fire rated downlights (I prob would anyway) ?!
Yes, you would be OK.

Downlighters look great, and a proper downlighter installation does a fantastic job of lighting up a room.

If the £50 per point is including fitting, then depending on the fitting might not be that bad. You £50 doesn't just buy a fitting. It buys a fitting (£8-£15), a lamp (£2), a transformer (£10), a junction box (£1), the additonal cabling between the fittings (£?), the time to properly mark out the installation so the lights are evenly spaced, without being to close to any joists, etc, etc...

Warning - RF's idea of "proper" means using them in exactly the way which actually proves just how improper they are, i.e. in great profusion.

Sponsored Links
I get the feeling that the grumpy non-communative moderator doesn't like downlights :(

Wow, don't take this the wrong way guys, i really appreciate the professional opinions i have recieved, but it seems some people's personal opinions are taking over their professional ones....

"Downlights in a lounge ... Eurghhhhh"

I didn't post on the electrics forum for interior design advice, just like you wouldn't ask me about the wiring of your homes...

If it was unclear, I was asking about the types of downlights, the cost and the safety...

Ps. For those that think that downlights stop people from buying houses, I must live in a parallel universe, as downlights are actually a big selling point in my area!

Wow, don't take this the wrong way guys, i really appreciate the professional opinions i have recieved, but it seems some people's personal opinions are taking over their professional ones....
Don't take this the wrong way Rabsy, but I'm afraid you may not prevent people from giving you whatever advice they want.

"Downlights in a lounge ... Eurghhhhh"
Mine wasn't based on that position at all.

I am opposed to downlights anywhere, not just in the lounge, and not because I think they look 'eurghhhhh', but because downlights are not the right thing to use for lighting up rooms.

They are offensive from a fitness-for-purpose point of view.

I didn't post on the electrics forum for interior design advice
Well you got a lucky bonus then.

If it was unclear, I was asking about the types of downlights, the cost and the safety...
And I was advising you not to fit them, irrespective of type, cost or safety.

Ps. For those that think that downlights stop people from buying houses, I must live in a parallel universe, as downlights are actually a big selling point in my area!
That will change.

One concern with down lighters is the bright spot sources of light are painful to eyes that cannot avoid having the lights in their field of vision.

Children laying on the floor and in bed with a spot light above them for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back