Downlights in lounge? IP rating? Cost? Supplier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of rewiring a house and have decided on some downlights for the living room and hallway and landing.

My electrician has said, that although he is only charging me £25 a downlight upstairs, he is charging me £50 a downlight downstairs. Something to do with fire regs???!

1. Is this correct, £50 a downlight seems extortionate to me.

2. I have been looking into buying the downlights myself, but have come across IP ratings of which I know nothing about? Is there a minimum IP rating I need for a lounge?

My lounge is approx. 5m x 4m and I am considering 10 downlights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
£50 to fit each one?

Firstly, there'll be a 'is the ceiling even firerated' battle on here. Ok, it's nice to replace the integrity of the ceiling, whether or not it actually has a documented fire rating, you shouldn't make it any worse than it were.

Secondly, downlights in a living room, eerrgghhhh.

Thirdly, if you must, good quality fire rated downlights are about £7.

£50 to fit each one?

Firstly, there'll be a 'is the ceiling even firerated' battle on here. Ok, it's nice to replace the integrity of the ceiling, whether or not it actually has a documented fire rating, you shouldn't make it any worse than it were.

Our 12 down lighters are dual function. Area lighting (wide angle bulbs) and upstairs underfloor heating. Works a treat!

£50 to fit each one?

Our 12 down lighters are dual function. Area lighting (wide angle bulbs) and upstairs underfloor heating. Works a treat!

What angle are the bulbs?

Sponsored Links
Salad fingers ... I'm not sure what you were actually saying here. Is there a regulation that I need to comply with?

And yes, he was quoting £50 each.

Salad fingers ... I'm not sure what you were actually saying here. Is there a regulation that I need to comply with?

Really, I'm saying that sounds expensive.

As far as complying with fire regulations, depends if the ceiling is actually documented as being a fire retardant barrier.

However, I'm saying it's best to not make it any worse than it were, so there's nothing wrong with installing a fire rated fitting.

How can you say that??
Have you visited the site??

The £50 is for the downlight including fitting.

He will have to lift flooring in the room(s) above the down lights. There may be furniture in those rooms, carpet to lift, laminate or tiled flooring. Thjis all adds to the time and complexity to carry out the job.

The upper floor lights are much cheaper to install because the loft area is much more accessible (all though I have seen some lofts that aren't)[/u]

Taylor two cities ... the whole house is being renovated at the moment, so not only is it completely empty including no carpet, the electrician will already be there ti carry out the rewire I mentioned earlier ... this Is just ab additional job.

Therefore I think you've just answered my question in that he does seem very expensive would you not agree?

Therefore I think you've just answered my question in that he does seem very expensive would you not agree?

It's very difficult to price, or give an opinion, on the price unless you can see what is involved, and the materials involved.

Personally I hate down lights, they are inefficient form of lighting and a PITA to install. I always cost up jobs I hate to do. Maybe he has the same view.

As far as complying with fire regulations, depends if the ceiling is actually documented as being a fire retardant barrier.

However, I'm saying it's best to not make it any worse than it were, so there's nothing wrong with installing a fire rated fitting.

Salad fingers ... How do I know if my ceiling is a documented fire retardant barrier?

The ceilings downstairs will be normal 30-minute ones, you do not have more than one fire compartment in your house. If you think about it you do not have self-closing fire doors, and when you go out into your hall you can look up through a b****y great hole in the ceiling.

You don't need fire rated downlights.

But you would be advised not to have them at all...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back