Downlights - lath plaster - Firehoods.

Sponsored Links
Unless there are small works of art or architectural features on the floor, what valid purpose would recessed 2" diameter downlights in the ceiling have?

Yes, indeed from a previous post.

Not quite sure what your smilies are for, unless they are to indicate that you are hard of thinking.

Given this:
downlights into lath and plaster ceilings?
I repeat, unless there are small works of art or architectural features on the floor, what valid purpose would recessed 2" diameter downlights in the ceiling have?

Sponsored Links
Mankind has, on a macro level, survived and prospered through advancements, not retrogressions.
Mankind has, on any level, survived and prospered through a bleedin' miracle of chance!
While 0.001% of the population may be capable of introducing advancement, the lumbering bulk of mankind serves as little more than ballast. :(

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And even if you don't care about the environment, and are so barmy that you don't accept the problems of man-induced climate change, and can afford the bills, how can you not feel in every fibre of your body that it is just wrong to install something less efficient and less fit for purpose than what it replaces?

Mankind has, on a macro level, survived and prospered through advancements, not retrogressions.

Because its the only way you can illuminate older ceilings with lots of exposed beams without throwing shadows all over the place.

And the only reason you can do that is because you are using lights with a beam pattern designed specifically to not light up rooms!

And the only reason you can do that is because you are using lights with a beam pattern designed specifically to not light up rooms!

I am using 60 degree wide angle rather than the usual 25-30 degree ones. They can be fine, as long as you know what you are looking for.

Such a sad waste of energy. You'd need at least eight 50W (400W) halogen nasties to give the equivalent lighting level of a single 100W GLS lamp.

Halogen downlights are so 1980's. They produce more heat than light - they have a very short life - they are stupidly expensive to buy (for the ordinary Tesco shopper)....

BAS is quite right to comment on the advancement of mankind (and science). These dreadful, wasteful fittings should be consigned to the dark ages whence they arrived.

And, as for the crazy idea of trying to fit them into a lath & plaster ceiling....... Pfffttt!

Lucia.

while i thank you all for your opinions, i think we are all bored with the disadvantages of downlights (of which i agree)

i think... i was getting confused with 'fire hood' as meaning protection against loft insulation.

customer wants GU10 downlights, with (i think) LED bulbs.

my question was, will we still need protection against the loft insulation with the link to the type of downlight i posted in my first post. as im guessing that all standard loft insulation is flamable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back