Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to change some light fittings to downlights, the downlights will go in the same position as the old lights so i just need to cut the holes in the ceiling.

The concern i have is the room is a downstairs room so it is quite a small cavity (around 6inch at a guess) and it is full of fibreglass insulation.

What type of downlights should i fit, i presume i will need ones with firehoods attached?

Cheers

Adam

Sponsored Links
You do not say what your downstairs room is. strictly speaking, firehoods are not necessary unless the ceiling is a firecheck ceiling or if you are in a multiple occupancy building.
Most houses have a big chimney called a staircase connecting upstairs to downstairs so a few 75mm holes in a ceiling isnt going to be where any fire will spread. Personally i use firerated downlights in kitchen ceilings as the kitchen is the more likely source for a house fire.

Some BCO's have differing personal opinions on this.

Check the clearance neded for the fittings you are considering

You would need to clear away the insulation to give the downlights room to breathe otherwise you will be forever buying new lamps.

Oh yes and as a footnote - dont forget about Part P if your room is a kitchen, or a bathroom.

the downlights will go in the same position as the old lights so i just need to cut the holes in the ceiling.

I'm afraid not as if you have pendant fittings, at present, they will be fixed to a joist.

Yes i realise they may need to be moved slighty to one side to clear the joist.

The room is a living room and above is a bedroom.

I was just worried about the fact that the void is only small and full of insulation.

I have seen normal downlights and fire rated ones. Just not sure which will be best to use.

Cheers
Adam

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back