downpipe issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i live in a victorian terrace and i have 1 house to the left and 5 to the right that all use my downpipe, but it cant handle the volume and is pouring down my house. I am just wondering if it is my responsibility to have the only downpipe?

Sponsored Links
Check that gutter and outlet is clear on your property, one downpipe will handle a fair drop of water. Is all appears ok then speak to the neighbours and see if someone is willing to fit a downpipe, this may be dependant on where it can drain to though.

i regularly clean mine and i have asked the question but nobody wants to pay. I am wondering if there is legalitys to it?

Are you sure it has always been like this, because it is normally every two houses but I have seen it were three or four share and only once were six use one. but you are telling me seven houses use one outlet and it cannot cope. If you can not get any joy from your neighbours you could alter yours, what type of guttering do you have.

Sponsored Links
i think over the years people have turned from metal to pvc they have not put a down pipe back on, i have pvc, but i dont no how to go about getting it sorted

Well if you are sure everything is clear you could change you guttering for some other type with a greater capacity, for example square will hold twice as much round and O'gee three times. You could also try a hopper on top of your down pipe instead of just a running outlet. Is it over flowing before the down pipe.

yeah its gushing all down my house, i am having to concrete my alley so that the water doesnt sink into the soil,[/u]

Speak to your local council....if no joy from them then i would be bloody minded and stick a stopend each side of my gutter and let the neighbours inherit the issue....**** em.... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back