Downstair rads not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend's CH system has stopped heating downstairs.

Open vent Y plan, original 35+ year old Ideal Mexico boiler. Recently moved in and whole system will be replaced in the next 12 - 18 months when kitchen is revamped.

First thing noticed was when hot water came on CH came on too. When asked I investigated and noticed the 3-port valve was set to manual override. When programmer was on for heating only and I moved the valve to auto (and thermostat set to max) the rads did not heat up. I set it back to manual during the colder months. Obviously the valve / actuator is shot.

When it got warmer advised to set to auto so no gas was wasted heating rads when HW was on. Now during this chillier snap set back to auto and downstair rads do not heat up. Could they be blocked up with sludge?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If all upstairs rads are heating fully ,turn their Thermostatic valves off ( or wheel head valves if no Thermostatics) but don't touch the lockshield valves. Also check the pump is spinning OK .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back