Downstairs loo

O

oompah

Is there a mininum internal size for a downstairs loo,i am looking to squeeze one in,in a existing cupboard which is right beside the soil stack,so plumbing is not an issue.

Sponsored Links
No minimum size but it wont be much fun if you can't read the paper! You need to comply with a couple of building regs. though;

• you must have either an opening window or an extractor fan in the loo.
• you cant create a new entry into the soil stack opposite another loo or sink waste; they must be either be vertically staggered by 200mm or you have to fit a purpose designed boss which prevents cross flow.

Thanks for the reply, the said cupboard is under the upstairs bathroom so making a new entry in the soil stack should be alright .Would i need to notify LABC if I were to decide to do this.

Unfortunately it is notifyable work for both the stack connection & the window/extract fan; this is a direct extract from an LABC website:

Q: If I want to install fittings such as a WC, shower, washbasin, or kitchen sink within my home, or any other type of building, will the Building Regulations apply?

A: YES - if the installation of the fitting or fittings will involve alterations to, or new connections to, a drainage stack or an underground drain. You should also check with us to find out how much information is required about the fittings you intend to use.

I formed a new utility room which involved connecting the waste into an exsting, nearby stack, I did’t pre-notify which, strictly speaking, I should have but as I had other inspections pending on additional building works, I just mentioned it to the LABC inspector the next time he visited; he glanced in the room, looked at the fan (no window in the room!) & stack connection & said “yea that’s OK” & that was the end of it!

It’s not a big deal, give them a ring & explaing what your doing; they may not even bother to inspect but if they do, there will be a charge.

Just thought; I think you must also have a hand washbasin in the room but without checking, I'm not 100% sure !

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back