Extension to 1920 house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have put plans into local office for permission to make small one level extension which has been passed, but..... In the project I am moving a downstairs bathroom to upstairs (existing bedroom) and didn't really want a loo downstairs anymore. The local office paid a visit and said I need to put back in a loo downstairs as I have all the pipe work there also it must be disabled suitable. My house was built in 1920 I am only extending/rearranging this seems like I'm being totally dictated too! Any comments/advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you splitting the property into two units?

Is your house a somehow special case?
Do you have a special needs occupant?

Its usual nowadays that after the first phone call, you will receive a drive-by visit from BCO, prior to any planning or Regs. Did you have such a visit?

We're not splitting the house in two, it is a small terraced cottage. It is not a 'special' house with no special needs persons. He is saying that because we are doing away with the bathroom as it is at present ie downstairs, we have to put a loo in its place because the drains are there and make it for disabled usage. He's also said this,is not open to any appeal process!
Thanks

This has been debated before, but the gist of complying with Part M of the Building Regs is that you should not make an existing situation worse. Clearly removal of a downstairs bog is not making it better.

Sponsored Links
Yes, this is part M of the building regs - if downstairs toilet was available previously, it needs to stay there. Sorry.

Oh!what about the disabled side of things? Do we have to have door wide enough for wheelchair etc? Thanks again

No. The point is that you musn't make the situation any worse than it is now, even if a person in a wheelchair coudn't get into the downstairs wc as it is.

Sorry Tony being really thick! Do you mean I MUST make the door wide enough and also the size of the new room large enough for a disabled person?

No the toilet must be no smaller than before. The clear opening when you go through the doorway must be no smaller etc. Technically! ;)

Thanks, a very informative thread. I never knew you weren't allowed to get rid of a downstairs loo. Though I'd personally always want a downstairs loo it does seem bizarre that the powers that be can dictate where you take a dump in your own house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back