Downstairs Radiators Not Working - Freezing to death !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody suggest what might be wrong with my central heating.
The downstairs radiators have just stopped working - the upstairs are fine and the pilot light is on as usual.

Is this something I can fix on my own or do I need help?

I am freezing !

HELP
:cry:

Sponsored Links
Have you bleed the radiator yet ? and have you got Trv's on the radiator ?

Most likely reason is sludge build-up which has just become critical. Long term answer would be a powerflush. Short term, try to get water to go round downstairs by closing all the upstairs radiators. If successful only open upstairs ones a little.

Also if you can find your pump, see what speed it is set on. Most are I -II - III. Try higher setting. That can bring on other probs so return it to original speed assuming rads clear enough for circulation.

COuld try bleeding air from the cold rads but as they're low I doubt that's the problem.

As masona mentioned, it could be TRVs sticking if you have them. But the first thing I would look at is the pump, you may have enough gravity circulation to heat upstairs but the pump is failing to get the heat back downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Fair comment - it depends how "fine" the upstairs heating is!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back