Downstairs toilet in extension and soil ventilation

Got to wonder whether he hurriedly filled it in before the BCO saw it too. Hopefully not. Still doesn't sound like a good setup though

Sponsored Links
Maybe. He does a bit of work around here and I bet he knows the inspector and he gets away with some stuff.

I’m still needed a bit of info from my first question.

is there enough ventilation in a boxed in floating toilet frame for the durgo which would be through the floor boards only. I could probably add a hatch to access it As this would be the rodding point, if not it’s going to be a good distance away to use for rodding.

Ventilation- probably tho you may need to put an air vent in the floorboards. Not a fan of durgos tbh.
Rodding point- what are you going to rod with a transition from vertical to horizontal & then vertical and then hit the bottom of your interesting connection?

Sponsored Links
Good point. I guess just that section of pipe.
The horizontal section can be rodded from the man hole 4m away I guess.

my builder just told me they are happy with everything he just told me I need a rodding point under the floor.

There would be no floor boards where the boxing is it would be a big hole 250mm by 800mm pretty much.

My rods won't go round a 90 degree bend, unless i've misunderstood yr layout you'll have an inaccessible section in there. Rodding point in the floor in your wetroom is going to look attractive....

Ok so I went under the floor and spoke to builder. It does go straight into the top but the height is roughly 1300 to finished level.
He said the boc saw it which to be fair he must have but he he also didn’t fill me with confidence. I’ll never get him back as it wasn’t part of the price as such as I wasn’t defiantly having a bathroom. so if it’s not passing I’ll need to either forget the bathroom or try get a better entry.

As it stands if it does pass how likely is a blockage. I’m not sure if it makes a difference but there was 2 clay pipes coming from my man hole like a double sewer?

Let’s say I wanted to put in a 100mm to my sewer which drops under the floor void through the lower bricks in my extension and into the side of the man hole from the pics how hard of a job is that, I’ve about 300mm from finished floor to top of man hole cover, how for down into that does it need to penetrate.
Man hole is under the tiles (liftable) on the pic of side of house.

and finally. From my pics I’ve put up two ways for my durgo to fit, on each one where would I put a rodding point. I’m told it has to be under the floor which is fine but getting to it would mean laminate up in the next room.

Pics are best I can do really hope they help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 110
  • C2C56655-9F10-4762-8104-DF3606FC1EC8.jpeg
    C2C56655-9F10-4762-8104-DF3606FC1EC8.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 32BD03F6-F6C9-4640-99DA-16AEF0267299.jpeg
    32BD03F6-F6C9-4640-99DA-16AEF0267299.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 5DCFB3FF-F4D8-40BA-8552-E099A53FCB4F.jpeg
    5DCFB3FF-F4D8-40BA-8552-E099A53FCB4F.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 59914408-60DA-48D0-81BF-17F54D24C1B4.jpeg
    59914408-60DA-48D0-81BF-17F54D24C1B4.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 118
  • CDC14742-0501-4A9A-BFE7-0B19494ED7F5.jpeg
    CDC14742-0501-4A9A-BFE7-0B19494ED7F5.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 5517423B-0CA4-477D-BC0A-8484E9495D8F.jpeg
    5517423B-0CA4-477D-BC0A-8484E9495D8F.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 114
Your straight vertical drop into a clay pipe is iffy- as others, you'll get solids splattering, separating from the water and potentially building up a restriction or blockage. Situation will be improved if the shower, basin etc use the same vertical drop but it is still iffy.

Usual deal when entering an existing manhole is your new pipe must be at invert level (ie bottom of new pipe level with bottom channel in manhole). On new placcie manholes the side entries tend to be 50mm above invert, if you had one of them then obvs you go for the side entries.
So with your sketch you'd be sensible having your drop from the bog hitting a rest bend then onwards to your manhole. You've still got an unroddable vertical from loo to rest bend...a manhole under the patio is tolerable as long as the slabs are loose laid (do yourself/future owners a favour, write the measurements for manhole position down, laminate them & hang them from the stop tap), rodding point under a laminate floor (which would take a certain amount of effort and potentially damage) isn't really on.
No idea about the durgo, don't like them, never used them

Hi thanks for the quick reply. Just looked at the regs and couldn’t see any note on having have to have a sweep into the sewer (I’ll be happily proven wrong I can read regs ok but these aren’t in my trade)
I understand the issue with the drop and possible build up to be honest given it’s a downstairs toilet and shower it’s not going to get used for the lumpy stuff, it’s mostly for the shower so it will get flushed out down there, I’d happily take the risk as
changing the waste pipe is not something I’m keen on doing it seems like a massive job, and either way it’s all done under the floor space which will make digging down very tricky if I have to get low down in the man hole.

I’m just confused as to where I should put a rodding point I mean as far as I’m aware there isn’t one upstairs and if there is it’s definitely underneath tile.
As I’ve no idea how a rod works is it not possible for me to remove the toilet and rod that way too the bottom of the clay then rod horizontally from the man hole, I mean if needed.
On this pic if I fit a rodding point where the sink and shower connect (if that’s possible) then it’s there to unblock the vertical pipe but Ye I’d have to lift my laminate.

with the man hole luckily there is one direct beside it on the neighbours path so hopefully my tiles shouldn’t need to come up but it’s a risk I don’t mind taking given they only cost a few quid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 111
Aah, if your loo is reasonably easy to detach (couple of wingnuts or whatever) then that'll give you the best shot at clearing the vertical if you need to (i'd assumed it being floating meant some monster job to move it).
Drain rods are moderately flexible- they'll just about work on a 45 degree bend (though can be tricky getting them out if you rodded through a 45 degree junction). If you can rod that clay run from yr manhole and the vertical by derigging the bog then go for it, digging drains from under the floor won't be fun. Do check (soon as poss) that you know which manhole serves that run- stick that on yr laminate as well.
Don't think you can get environmentally unsound 2 gallon cisterns any more, if you could then that would help massively with keeping the thing clear.
Best giving it a double flush on big jobs (and the shower waste will help).

Thanks for all the replies.

Ye the toilet is fairly easy to remove but Hopefully I won’t need too.
Double flush is what I normally do, as these toilets are what my mate calls **** stain toilets haha.

But Ye builder says it will pass he knows the guy so long as I look after the drain I should be ok.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back