(DPC) finding next doors ground level for DPC Party Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have successfully installed a DPC in parts of my house and have come to do the party wall. The house is semi detached and next door is higher as the street is on a slope. The house is around 1910 and is built with cavity wall and header bricks tying the two courses together every 6th course (common bond).

At my side I moved up three courses from ground level (below will be tanked) and started drilling through the first course after I got through the first course there was nothing, I took a 1m drill bit and gently pushed it though the hole to my suprise it went easyely through to 800mm with out any force or drilling. Surely if the wall has header bricks going the other way it is to tie together two walls. How have I hit nothing behind one wall of brick ?

MY QUESTION is

Have I drilled to low and come out under next doors floor level ? (even if this was true surely there are foundations in old houses and I would hit the second wall that the header bricks tie together)

What is the best way to find next doors ground level and to install my DPC level on this wall?

Sponsored Links
All i can add mate: 1910 house foundations, either a soldier course of bricks or a foundation of 80mil thick stone: ie stone lintels to spread the weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back