DPC higher than concrete slab, damaged DPM and easy self leveller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm installing a new kitchen and will be self levelling the concrete slab for tiling (TBD). I've just discovered that the DPC is a course too high and actually sits above the concrete slab. Weirdly the cowboys who did the kitchen previously have also cut away the DPM at the level of the floor. I now intend on using Dry-rod along the correct course of bricks this will be 2 courses high and below the interior floor. So just a few questions if I may..

1. Is it possible or necessary to do anything about the DPM at the edges, its my house but I'm very tight on time and I'd prefer a simple solution?
2. Assuming the dry-rod is the right way to go? again, time will not allow me to get someone in for a physical DPC.
3. Say this was the cause of having a slightly damp concrete slab, as it will be rectified, can I now just lay a single self leveller, without the liquid DPM? Or is it best to assume any 'drying' will take months? (we did have an industrial dehumidifier and fans for 3 weeks straight, after the leak.)
4. We had a leak and the insurance coy lifted a corner of concrete and damaged the DPM at the same time. Worth noting that the dust and concrete feel bone dry but under the DPM it is damp. How best and simplest way of fixing this?

Worth mentioning that I've laid a cheap digital hygrometer underneath a plastic sheet, sealed on all 4 sides. It's been there for 36 hours unto now and the hygrometer has only risen by 1% (to 35%). I understand this isn't a perfect test by any stretch, but thought it maybe useful to know. Also, the plastic tanking comes to the floor, is this normal?

Also worth saying that we had tiles previously which were an absolute nightmare to get up and there was only signs of a damp area where we'd had the leak. Also, I'll only be laying the tiles to the plinth, not all the way under.

I've attached pics which I hope will help. I've only 5 days to finish the whole job, so your advice is very much appreciate, as always!

Thanks again,

1698416513801.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    734.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
It's a bit difficult to see what's what as your photos are cropped in, might help if you could take a photo or two showing a bit more of the surrounding area.

Is there is any DPC in the solid wall to the right of the stone cill?

Is the concrete floor newish or been down a while?

Do you have room to bring the floor level up?

1. There is a DPC in the wall, but it's 3 courses high. The slab is level with the DPC on the stone cill, but further along , the DPC is 1 course higher.
2. The floor was down when we moved in. 8 years ago.
3. No room to bring the floor up.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Would it be worth applying something a liquid DPM like Synthanpruf to the area where the slab meets the brick? Maybe trying to get in behind the DPM for the length of the wall?

Apologies for my amateur ideas, time is short!

Thanks again.
IMG_0563.JPG

Go to Wickes or similar, get a tub of SBR and a bag of cement. Follow the instructions and prepare a slurry, apply liberally with reference to the short working time, repeat a few times overlapping the tanking and slab where possible.

Go to Wickes or similar, get a tub of SBR and a bag of cement. Follow the instructions and prepare a slurry, apply liberally with reference to the short working time, repeat a few times overlapping the tanking and slab where possible.
Thank for the response! can you explain a little bit. Where am I applying the slurry to? Bricks / slab or both. Mixing the SBR in the cement?

Centre on the bricks and lap onto the slab at least 150mm and up the wall where you can. The instructions will be on the tub. A cement slurry is thicker than other types of tanking but if there are any large gaps then fill with mortar first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back