DPC in thermalite wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

first ever post, hope someone can help (never needed to post before, always found the answer somewhere in the database...).

I have a damp problem in a 1980s extension on my 1930s terraced house that has been built from thermalite block.

When it was built, it was a standalone extension, but in the last 6 years a similar extension has been built next to it but with its own adjoining wall.

The house is on a hill and the other extension is on the next house up the hill and so I can only guess that when this other extension was built, they have bridged my DPC as the damp problem is on the adjoining wall.

I've monitored this problem for about 2 years now, hoping it wasn't rising damp and tried all the things suggested on here and elsewhere with regards to condensation etc to no avail and so have come to the conclusion that more drastic action is required.

I believe there is not a lot I can do to fix the root-cause and so I proposed to try and inject another DPC into the wall and re-plaster with Dricote.

Assuming this all makes sense, I've started the job by hacking off all the defective plaster, but have come up against a problem:

The first visible mortar line (where I intend to inject) is about 8 inches above the floor line and so I would end up having to stop the new re-plastering above this line to ensure I don't bridge the DPC again!

Does anyone know if you can buy treatments that you can inject straight into Thermalite block (and so lower down than the mortar line)?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The answer seems to be, yes you can inject a chemical DPC

But a few pictures to illustrate the problem in context of the two extensions would be a lot better than the text description

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back