DPC less than 150mm on back patio. Options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow built in 1960 which is being renovated. I have no intentions to sell the property for many years but do not want issues arising with the survey when I come to sell. At the back of the property where the wall meets the patio the DPC is less than the recommended 150mm. Approx 1 1/2 bricks. There is already some gravel there though although not very straight - it is wider towards the back fence and thinner towards the corner of the house. I was thinking of 3 options:

1) Just leave it even though the width varies and would this satisfy any future surveyor?

2) Get an angle grinder and bring the gravel further out say to approx 200mm. Then perhaps have some edging where it meets the patio - to prevent the gravel getting clogged up with mud, silt, rubbish etc from the patio. It will also hold the gravel back which is currently spilling onto the patio.

3) Have an aco drain fitted and to be connected to the clay hopper that can be seen in the bottom right of the picture. Is this legal though? From what I have read properties build before 1970 tended to have a combined system. The drains into the hopper currently take wastewater from the kitchen. If i am allowed to do this how do I connect the plastic aco drain to the clay gully, perhaps some adapter?
1.jpg
2.jpg
?

Sponsored Links
I choose Option 1.
I’d leave it unless the patio constantly flooded or something and it’s just not nice to live with. It’s still well below the dpc and there is a gravel gap and there is a drain nearby so it’s ticking lots of boxes in terms of the current install not causing potential harm to the property. The 150mm min from dpc is sensible to stick to if you are installing a patio from scratch obviously - but I’m not convinced that a few mm short is worth faffing about over. I’d doubt any surveyor or future buyer would get themselves in a tizzy over this situ as is.

Leave it, no dramas. My own home (front elevation) is about 110mm down from DPC. No dramas.

Sponsored Links
Slept on it guys. Going to go for option 1. Keep it simple!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back