Dpc level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just want to know if I should have put a dpc at the bottom 150mm above the ground as you can see in the picture. I know there will be one going in on the top as that will be close to my floor level for the timber joists. Advice appreciated. Is more than 1 dpc ok as my builder has not done it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220408-182214_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220408-182214_Gallery.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
The dpm goes at at least 150mm from finished exterior ground level, so you need to factor in the slabs if you're paving.

The dpm goes at at least 150mm from finished exterior ground level, so you need to factor in the slabs if you're paving.
The back that you see in the picture will remain as it is.

The side of the extension will be higher ground and I understand there will be patio laid there. However, my question is this back bit that you see in the picture, it is quite a drop from the floor level to the lawn on the ground. Should we have put 2 dpc's in instead of one where I have marked it yellow.

Sponsored Links
The main house DPC is a benchmark that determines where your extension DPC will go.
Is your house DPC as high as the yellow annotation?
Are you working to a drawing?

The main house DPC is a benchmark that determines where your extension DPC will go.
Is your house DPC as high as the yellow annotation?
Are you working to a drawing?
Please see the attached picture to understand what I am talking about.

This side bit will have a retaining wall and a patio laid. The back bit in the first picture will be lower than the side.

Attachments

• 20220408_184936.jpg
    20220408_184936.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 53
Everything inside the half built cavity walls is inside the extension - so the height of your suspended floor will be determined by the main house DPC.
Your ground levels are all over the place but as mentioned by johnny 2007 - any DPC must be a min of 150mm above ground level.

Everything inside the half built cavity walls is inside the extension - so the height of your suspended floor will be determined by the main house DPC.
Your ground levels are all over the place but as mentioned by johnny 2007 - any DPC must be a min of 150mm above ground level.

But would there be any benefit of putting a dpc above the rear part of the extension at 150mm above the ground? Or should it just go in at the top at the same level as the existing house?

A DPC should go in at high level.

Given your up and down ground levels then any DPC, chemical or mechanical, at low level would have to be a stepped DPC.
Presumably you are not going to attempt to install a mechanical DPC ie the traditional black plastic roll material at low level?
So you would have nothing to lose by using say Dyna Rods or similar to hopefully establish a low level DPC

I told my builder to put it in initially at the rear low level, then put a 2nd one it at the existing house level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back