DPC over Facia Capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I'm capping over my Facias on an extension. The roof is concrete tiles over a OSB sarking. The gutter has a total of approx 15m run around the extension before the down pipe so by the time it gets to the Downpipe its going to be a good bit below the tile line Its been this way for 10 years since extension was built.I had an Idea to use DPC to extend the felt into the gutter using 100mm DPC taped behind the back side of the facia with strong ( Gorilla ) Tape and fold it over front of the Facia before sliding up under the tiles / Felt. I've put up one section but havent knocked in the Pins fully yet cos now I'm wondering if this is a good idea. Only other option would be u5 Roofing felt but all tiles are nailed, and its a hipped roof, and really cant afford a contractor to do this.
Can I get some informed opinions on what you all think about the DPC idea

Attachments

• 20220529_082926.jpg
    20220529_082926.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220529_083020.jpg
    20220529_083020.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20220529_082914.jpg
    20220529_082914.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
That would mean lifting the bottom row of tiles which are all nailed. I tried sliding dpc under existing felt but its just to tight and I think theres 2 rows od Battens right at the bottom. The roof is clad in OSB unser the tiles / Existing felt. I thought the felt support trays were for cases where there wsa only Sarking felt over the Roof Joists ?

The gutter shouldn't be that low if the fall is set properly (and the right size guttering has been used- that roof area you'd be better off with deeper).
If you really can't get dpc or felt support under the tiles then just stick some Flashband (or similar) to the inside of the gutter at the back, tuck the top end under the tiles, done.

Sponsored Links
All Noted. Thanks. The gutter is 114mm Squareline. It runs from one side of extension, to the front, along the front and back down the other side. Basically a square extension. Is there any pit falls / Problems to what I have proposed ?

A good few yeas ago, I had to deal with a dodgy contractor doing fascias and gutters who used DPC like that instead of the specified eaves tray.

The landlord's switchboard lit up with people complaining of a constant hum or rattle/flapping sound all day and night. Some of the properties sounded like a kazoo from the footpath!

Hi as said on here by woody the dpc will hum in the wind but as Catlad said the best way is to use trays . Rather than slide under whole. Trim them down with s Stanley knife to the line on the bend and screw / pin to the cappit board making sure the back of cut tray is flush with back of cappit. Job done no hum

Ok, Thanks all,
It seemed like a good idea, and looked kinda tidy when I put the first section of capping up, but had the feeling that there must be a reason why I shouldn't be doing it this way. That's why I didn't go any further until I got some experienced advice. Its off now and I'll investigate the other ideas mentioned
Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back