Dpc

Removed a couple of blocks & behind it was full of expanding foam(pic 1)

Removed as much as I could & where it attached to outside wall was very damp. I cleaned out quite a lot of mortar, broken block/brick & foam/CWI.

If I put my hand down into the cavity LHS as you look at wall i removed CWI which was very very wet.

The CWI to the left & right of the opening above the dpc are dry, only wet if i reach down into the cavity.

I am looking at replacing CWI in the near future anyway but is there a way of checking whether the render has had it's day too.

I thought about using a dehumidifier to dry out anything that was damp in the cavity & then wait until we have rain & see if any does come down or is that too simplistic?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20261006_120026.jpg
    IMG_20261006_120026.jpg
    997.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20261006_140437.jpg
    IMG_20261006_140437.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20261006_140324.jpg
    IMG_20261006_140324.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20261006_140404.jpg
    IMG_20261006_140404.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 5
OP,
Well done for your continuing investigation & finding the damp CWI & rubble that I referred to in post#8.
If you remove block down to FFL level then it would be clear if there now is a DPC at that level or does the DPM go under th blockwork?

You need to remove as much rubble as possible, and to remove all the reachable CWI - you could open the wall up further to the right? Wall openings should be a few feet apart for structural safety.
The render looks fine but definitely observe during rain - or when the exterior is being hose pipe sprayed.

Despite the render looking fine moisture is still maybe penetrating the wall? I think moisture is rising in the cavity rubble & CWI.
Has the gully trap been cleaned out?
 
OP,
Well done for your continuing investigation & finding the damp CWI & rubble that I referred to in post#8.
If you remove block down to FFL level then it would be clear if there now is a DPC at that level or does the DPM go under th blockwork?

You need to remove as much rubble as possible, and to remove all the reachable CWI - you could open the wall up further to the right? Wall openings should be a few feet apart for structural safety.
The render looks fine but definitely observe during rain - or when the exterior is being hose pipe sprayed.

Despite the render looking fine moisture is still maybe penetrating the wall? I think moisture is rising in the cavity rubble & CWI.
Has the gully trap been cleaned out?
Gully trap is clear.
Must admit i was concerned about taking anymore blocks out, thinking it might weaken the wall too much.

Will get on it again today. Didn't check the DPC/DPM DOH.

Will do that later
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top