DPM and Elastilon questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after some advise on DPM and Elastilon if anyone here has used it?

I was on here a while ago querying installing solid oak floor over 2 different floor types (wood living room/ concrete dining room) in one go as they are technically one room now with no threshold being fitted, and Woodyoulike was very very helpfull and gave me great tips and assistance.

I since decided to have the wood floor removed as after further inspection it had been repaired so many times i would have had to replace the whole lot, so i had it filled with concrete in November 2009 to match the dining room floor. Whilst i'm waiting for the end of FEB for it to be dry using the 1inch = 1 month to dry rule Febuary is over by about 1 month so should be go to go.

My questions having looked on the Elsastilon website at the fitting instructions it mentions laying a DPM before the Elastilon

1) Do i just the same sort of DPM the builders used under my concrete floor?? or is there something else specially desighned for this.

2) Do you need to tape overlaps of the DPM or just leave loose.

3) Is it O.K to leave the DPM lapped up the walls slightly as this would be hidden behind the skirting as when my dining room was filled with concrete before i moved in they must have left the skirting on as when i removed the old skirt the concret stops about 15mm off the wall so theres a moist strip about 15mm wide against one wall which the new skirting would cover but the oak floor would touch if DPM is not flapped up the wall slightly.

4) When using Elastilon do i need to glue the T&G joins of the oak floor or is there no need.

5) How much do you get on a roll of Elastilon.

My next question is giving me a right headache. :cry:

6) Where we had the wall opened up to allow you to go from dining to living room there is still quite a bit of the wall left either side of opening we didn't have all of the wall removed, which means if i start laying the floor from either wall in the living room with the Elastilon method when i reach the reveal of the opening where the floor would then go into the dining room do i back lap the floor as its about 500mm back to the wall? Do i just lay the Elastilon and where you would only normally pull back enough film to lay a few planks i gather i would need to pull it back to where the planks run through from room to room i.e 650-700mm.

Sorry about the length of query :oops:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) DPM sheets from one of the DIY-sheds will do
2) Preferably tape them
3) Correct idea indeed
4) Not really, only recommend when installing a wood floor on Elastilon in bathrooms or kitchens etc
5) comes in rolls of 1 meter wide and if you've seen the video laid perpendicular on the direction of your boards. Cut-off's (if still wide enough) can be used in other rooms/areas.
6) I think the most practical way will show itself once you're doing the job

Thanks WoodYouLike,

Would i be correct in thinking if the oak panels touch the Elastilon once the film is removed it's still possible to lift the board and correct or will it stick like sh1te to a blanket.

Thanks

It'll stick, so only remove the film if you've checked the boards are straight.
(It'll become easier once you've laid a few rows, practice makes the master ;))

Sponsored Links
Hi Pullmyfinger !

Did you get the job done ? Did you use Elastilon ? If you did - how is the result ? Are you happy ? Did you have any problems in the laying process ?

I am considering to use Elastilon underneath a 21 mm thick oak floor. But I don't know if I dare to use it.

I hope to get a sincere answer from you.

Thanks in advance !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back