Dpm and mortar mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a 1.5m high retaining wall in my garden using concrete blocks. I want to stop moisture getting through so intend to place some dpm at the back of it. Do I place the dpm between the foundation and the first course of blocks?

Also, what mix should I use for concrete blocks, 3:1 or 4:1? What's the difference?

Paul

Sponsored Links
You would be better off "painting" some liquid bitumen solution on the rear of the retaining blocks, and providing sufficient weep holes to relieve any water pressure build up. Forget the membrane.

Use a 3:1 sand to cement mix.

Blocks with hollow cores should have the cores filled with the above mix, and chippings.

If the wall is retaining higher ground or unstable ground then use re-bar thro the blockwork.

Blocks with hollow cores should have the cores filled with the above mix, and chippings.

If the wall is retaining higher ground or unstable ground then use re-bar thro the blockwork.

I don't think bars and hollow blocks are all that common in the UK. I'm using the standard 440mmX215mmX100mm solid concrete blocks.

They are available as "hollow core dense concrete blocks".

100mm seems too light for a retaining wall.

Sponsored Links
Anyone?...I thought they were pretty simple questions
They are if you know the answers.
The mix will depend on the strength and density of your blocks, how long wall is and expansion joints.
Neither a polythene DPM or a liquid DPM will stop damp coming through.
If it is a 1500 high full retaining wall, then a 215 block laid on its side is not strong enough.
Would be curious to know size and depth of foundation?
Regards oldun

If it is a 1500 high full retaining wall, then a 215 block laid on its side is not strong enough.
What could go wrong?

tilting-retaining-wall-lg.jpg

In the dim and distant past I wrote a computer program to design retaining walls - IIRC the basic shape was an inverted t.

Retaining wall answers are not always simple. The design also depends on soil and water table conditions as well as the height. You also need a drainage system at the back of the wall.

Don't remember anything about water table, but I know there were factors for how high, what the angle of the surface of the retained soil was, and something to do with the characteristics of the soil.

They are if you know the answers.
The mix will depend on the strength and density of your blocks, how long wall is and expansion joints.
Neither a polythene DPM or a liquid DPM will stop damp coming through.
Would be curious to know size and depth of foundation?
Regards oldun

I guess they are simple straight forward questions to those in the know; hence why I posted the questions on this forum, well I presume the folks who frequent this forum are in the know?

Wall will be 3 meters wide, and about 1.5 meters high. Blocks are standard size 7n. They will be layed face down. Think I'm going to use a 4:1 mix

Foundations are 381mm x 457.20mm, they are supported by ground rock and a slight rock face. I used a mix of 3 crush and run, 2 sand and 1 cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back