dpm as dpc or is that different?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the project is a single cavity conservatory with concrete blocks (laid flat). I've got my footings in, then two layers of solid concrete blocks to match floor level 30cm up. Floor is down with dpm and insulation so all is level.

The dpm overlaps the concrete blocks now.

I'm ready to build up my dwarf wall which is only 52cm high.

So the question is regarding DPC. The thin roll of coursing I see about, is that the same material or different? So do I need to trim the membrane as use that or just build on top of the membrane?

But then if I build on top of the membrane would I mortar 5mm below and 5mm above, or all above or what? But if the latter then what is holding the wall in place other than gravity as below the membrane and above would have no physical connection....

Sponsored Links
Standard building practice would be to sandwich both the DPM and the DPC between layers of mortar.

Yes, polythene DPM would act the same DPC in many respects and would probably be ok on its own as long as it is laid correctly. However, DPC is more robust and will tolerate greater stresses and is cheap and it would be silly to leave it out. Besides, it makes doing the corner junctions simpler too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back