Dpm + dpc

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The building regs apply to buildings and extensions to buildings, a porch is an extension to a building so the regs apply. What then happens in terms of exemptions and inspections seems to be as clear as a pi*s up in a brewery, but if there is no exemption for say the footings, whatever the practice of local BCO's, the requirements still apply unless or until they are made exempt.

Blup

@Dereekoo why would you need to get a Building Regs Approval exempt porch inspected?
I have no idea but Noseall posed the question in post 63 so I thought it would be rude to not give some sort of answer. Which brings us round in the circle again to if Building Regs dont apply then why do you have to comply on some aspects of the build, see post 48 and 68. I think at best we agree that full building regulations as such dont apply but certain aspects do and how involved (or not involved) the BCOs get is down to the specific council and what the developer tells them (or not) in the 1st place.

I've built quite a few porches in the past, and never known Building Control to be involved. The regs for glazing are particularly there because there are a lot of firms making plastic porches, so with a lot of glazing involved there needs to be some safety regs. They don't come round checking, but the firms involved would normally supply the correct glass as they don't want any comebacks.

I've built quite a few porches in the past, and never known Building Control to be involved. The regs for glazing are particularly there because there are a lot of firms making plastic porches, so with a lot of glazing involved there needs to be some safety regs. They don't come round checking, but the firms involved would normally supply the correct glass as they don't want any comebacks.
Any building will have B'Reg's compliance coinciding with the building process, it's inevitable. Just because this happens with a porch, does not mean that the porch will be (fully) compliant. Nor does it mean that just because there is toughened glass in the door, that the builder needs to look over his shoulder when missing out insulation in the floor. I think a lot has to do with ignoring part L, when the decision to build the porch as a dumping ground for dog leads and Hunter wellies. Compromising safety or foundations or roof timbers is never a good idea when building anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back