DPM first or insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting some ready mix concrete for a conservatory base and have got some insulation and a damp proof membrane. My question is do i put the DPM down first and insulation on top or vice versa i have seen both done!

I assume the damp can get in the insualtion if its below the dpm and also dont think the concrete will damage the insulation so i am tempted to put the insulation on top of the DPM.

Any advice will be helpful

Thanks

Sponsored Links
youve just answeredyour own question, go for it mate thats the way i do it and the building inspector loves it!!

I build form work for base, crushed and wacker hardcore, lay insulation and any service if needed, pour concrete then DPC before brick work.

I have built most of the base already I dug strip footings and 3 courses of brick on top, inside I have put down hardcore and topped with sand to make it soft on DPM, so bsically I have a hole in the middel to fill with concrete and insulation.

I think I will go with DPM first and insulation on top.

Sponsored Links
So your laying DPC then insulation Celotex/Kingspan then a pour over that.
If so got you, misunderstood first post soz!
Have thought about reinforcement.

Yes I will now lay the DPM on top of sand then some insulation I got from the builders merchants then pour concrete on top, but I dont really think I need any reinforcement, though I did add some mesh to the strip footings.

Make sure you tape the joints of the insulation or lay a membrane (125micron polythene sheet) over the top of the insulation to stop any concrete seeping into the joints.

like everything these days,belts n braces n then double it before doublign it again.that goes for everything not just building :LOL: :LOL:

Nice advice I have laid the DPM today with the insulaltion on top and need another sheet as I am a bit short, thats because I gave dimensions in metres and sheets are in feet, I will then add a sheet of DPM over the top too to make an nice insulation sandwich!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back