rain filling up my dpm!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm halfway through laying a conservatory base, concrete over polystyrene insulation, with a dpm under that. Thing is, it's absolutely hammering down, and my insulation on the half that's still to do is beginning to float!

I guess I can lift some of the insulation and bail out the water carefully (so as not to puncture the dpm) but not all, as some of it runs under the already laid (and set) concrete. Is it OK to lay concrete if there's still a bit of water on the dpm? I won't be able to get it dry I don't think, and I want to get the rest down asap.

Looks like it's going to be wet weather the rest of the week.

Sponsored Links
The weight of the concrete will prevent water from getting under and doing too much damage. The other side should be bailed out, plastic dustpan works well, and mopped up best you can. Old towels, big sponges sort of thing.
Concrete should really be poured in one continuous hit though. Always keep a tarp handy when concreting.

OK cheers. Yeah I had intended to do it all but as sometimes happens, I had to unexpectedly leave it half done. Annoying but unavoidable.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you use a 'wet' vac or small pond pump and suck the worst of the water out?

Regards

I lifted the insulation as far as possible and mopped the water up. There's a few dribs and drabs left but I doubt that'll be a problem. It's under 4" of concrete now anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back