DPM, level floor, Amtico - what order/specifications?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just extended our kitchen. The 'old' part of the floor now amounts to about a quarter of the total floor space in the room and is slightly higher than the rest of the new concrete floor.

The stud walls/first fix electrics are just being done at the moment. The kitchen is due to fitted next month.

We are planning to have Amtico installed. Our builder's floor fitter is amtico registered but he's not actually the cheapest quote we've had (in fact, John Lewis are cheaper).

I know we have to treat the new concrete floor for damp. Obviously, waiting for it to dry at an inch a month isn't going to be practical so I understand we need to lay a damp proof membrane.

I also know the floor needs to be leveled.

John Lewis advise that the DPM ought to be laid at the same time as the amtico or if it's laid beforehand then nobody ought to walk on it.

I have some questions I hope somebody can answer!

(1) Which is laid first, the DPM or the self-level?
(2) Is there any particular grade/type of DPM that you are supposed to use with Amtico? John Lewis want to do a damp test before fitting so I want it to be the right stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The DPM will be laid first, usually as a liquid product 'painted or trowelled' onto the concrete surface, then the screed laid over that.

John Lewis are correct in being very very cautious re: damp, it is critical that the prep is spot on and damp levels sorted before any attempt is made to lay the Amtico.

Impatience and damp concrete subfloors have ruined many a LVT install.

thanks for your replies

Our builder reckons he can undercut the price of John Lewis - so far all of his tradespeople have been spot on - he subcontracts the joinery, roofer, plumber etc.

I am assuming he subcontracts the flooring also. He says they are Amtico registered. How can I find out if he's right?

John Lewis are actually cheaper at the moment, though!

Sponsored Links
Amtico have a helpline number, maybe give them a call and ask re: registered fitters?

It's really important that you have 100% trust in the procedure required to get this right, and of course a reliable source of contact if there are issues in the future with the install, in jobs like your's, any moisture issues probably won't occur until a few months after the installation is completed so if you have a reliable point of contact to call upon, it would be extra piece of mind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back