drafts through downlight installation - any solution?

Am I ok with the unused tails on connector blocks pushed up above the insulation? I remember reading you shouldn't cover over joins in cable, is that a prob here?

You could use Maintenance Free junction boxes. Ashley is one make and their 20Amp ones are specifically for lighting.
http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/ashle...0mm-20a/1051010235/ProductInformation.raction
One tip. Measure to the exact centres of holes that will be blanked off and make a diagram to be kept in a secure place. You never know when you may want to change the lighting again.....

Sponsored Links
This is somewhere between roof building, insulation and lighting installation, thought I'd try here if any good people have ideas or experience on this.

I had a new single story lean-to extension built several months ago. Am now in the first winter with it. The roof has 150mm insulation (100mm Kingspan plus 50mm insulation backed plaster board), as specced by architect and builder, to meet current build regs. I have a couple of veluxes and some glass doors to the extension - I paid more to get good insulation rating on the glass.

On the electrician's advice, flush fitting tilt downlights were installed in the roof, 8 of them. I have CFL lamps, GU10 fitting, cut out is I think something like 80mm. The electrician said insulation would have to be cut away above the lights, so there wouldn't be heat buildup, even though CFL. Fair enough.

The disappointing thing is that there is a draft (or in this weather frankly it feels like little jets of cold air) coming down around the tilt part of the fitting. The light fits into the cutout snugly, but it is air actually coming through the fitting, through breather holes in the top and then around the CFL lamp into the room. The air flow under the tiles, on top of the insulation is creating a pretty strong cold flow down into the room.

Is it possible to get a replacement fitting which will provide a more air-tight fit? I understand the top of the light must have air around it (in my case that = open to outside temperature under roof slates and roofing membrane, that is the way the electricians fitted them. But is there such a thing as a fitting that will better seal the room while allowing the required ventilation above for safety?

I did also wonder about condensation - the temperature difference between the top of the light and the room when heating is on strong, people in room, means that the metal surrounds on the fittings get wet with condenstation, one of them even dripped! There isn't a leak, have had loads of rain and no problem at all, it is temp difference and condensation.

If I was doing it again I would not fit downlighters! As installed they seem to negate the efficiency of insulation required by building regs, and also money spent on decent glass! I'm a bit confused as to why the electrician specified them, he knew I was aiming for decent insulation. Although it was a case of the team fitting them being different from the gaffer who specified...

Any ideas?

Shouldnt the additional insulation provided by the insulated plasterboard to meet the u-value, be fitted between the ceiling joists tight up to the underside of the kingspan, presuming the kingspan is on top of the joists...in order to create a warm room and avoid condensation. I'm no expert but I've recently reroofed my single storey extension like this and even I can read the kingspan installation guide.

I would go back to both the architect and builder and ask a few questions.

So sim17 what was final outcome ???

Or ... has anyone else got a workaround that does not involve ripping down ceiling, replacing the insulation, replastering and putting in alternative lights system ??!!??

I have a pitched ceiling so ideally want adjustable downlighters that will point straight down but without draughts.

I guess a option is non-adjustable ones that fit snug but then they wont point at work-surfaces/tables!!!!

Cheers
HW

has anyone else got a workaround that does not involve ripping down ceiling, replacing the insulation, replastering and putting in alternative lights system ??!!??
Yup.

1. Get a time machine.
  2. Go back to before the point where you decided to install unsuitable lights or buy a property with them installed.
  3. Persuade yourself to change your mind.

Sponsored Links
"ban-all-sheds" ... you did make me laugh ... but for only 1 millisecond :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back