Drag Racing

Sponsored Links
Is it an expensive hobby? What speed do they do, is it in 0-100mph?

Is it an expensive hobby? What speed do they do, is it in 0-100mph?

Yep it sure is expensive.
It's 1/4 mile racing from a standing start.
My car as pictured runs 7.48 seconds in the 1/4 mile and reaches 183 mph in that time. :)

Proper drag car!!

I ran Santa Pod a few times in my old Clio Williams a few years ago.

I can see why its addictive. :p

Sponsored Links
I used to take my motorbike to Long Marston, long ago. So I know the ‘rush’ you get Tim.

Of course, not dissin cars, but if you want cheap performance not far off what you have there you could look towards a Busa ;)

I used to take my motorbike to Long Marston, long ago. So I know the ‘rush’ you get Tim.

Of course, not dissin cars, but if you want cheap performance not far off what you have there you could look towards a Busa ;)

I do occasionally race at Long Marston track - now called Shakespeare County Raceway.

Bikes are quick , especially tuned Hyabusa's but to run a mid 7 second pass
you would have a fair bit of money in that. You are talking turbo'ed serious engine there with aftermarket crank, rods,pistons,cylinder head ported to the max, titanium valves, gears and clutch along with a state of the art chassis/ swingarm and bodywork etc. Also you would need a good spares package to run those numbers consistantly. Probably £35-40K for a competitive Super Street bike - so not too cheap.
I have 100K in my set up and a 65K articulated motorsport race transporter also to ferry it to the track and motorhome living quarters on top deck of twin deck trailer.

You're the kind of guy I'd like a beer with when you're up next; you know your stuff :) (More than me).

My time 'in the sun' goes back to the mid/late 70s, but I absolutely loved it! Cars and motorbikes, I saw it all. But then life and a sprog got in the way... :rolleyes:

The last time I went to a race, to watch, was about 5 years ago, again at Long Marston, when there was a 'Austin Mini Day'. Not the only things to run but hec there were some quick ones!!! The one I saw had an engine in the front and back :eek:

I personally always liked the so-called funny cars; a sh1t hot wolf in sheep's clothing. :evil:

I saw, the late, Henk Vink more than once. He was a larger than life happy go lucky guy. Ah, memories....

Thanks for making me re-live them.... :)

Sponsored Links
Back