Keeping Koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep and occasionally breed Koi

Started out as a small time hobby, now costs a small fortune!

Sponsored Links
Yes I keep Koi, it dose`nt have to cost so much, if you do it DIY
Planned it, built it, on the cheap, lot of effort digging down for a 6ft bottom drain, gravity fed filter, Airlift pump return, Heated by ASHeatPump, My Koi are beautiful, pampered and contented.
In total I have about 50 fish in 2 ponds and 2 aquariums the garden and home has been 30 years in the making. Now in my retirement I can relax and enjoy my Koi.
My other interests are in ECO improvements, having installed solar hot water 23 years ago which has paid for itself 4 times over now.
My Hybrid heat pump system also heats the whole house and cut my gas consumption by 80% on previous years, hoping that will have a similar pay back on savings.

Sponsored Links
Today's highly bred Koi need heated water to really thrive. It makes them grow in the summer, and keeps 'em alive in the winter.
But of course heating an outdoor pool is a bit bonkers that's why I no longer have a pond.
Still have an interest but to do it properly costs a lot: pond £10,000, fish £100 - to a few 000, running it £ 100/week, rich man's hobby really...

Koi don't have to be an extremely expensive hobby. If you DIY a lot of the stuff it can be much cheaper than getting someone in to do it. Sure it takes a lot longer (with research time included) but our Koi pond is now very well established. We had problems with herons at the start but put a net over it and haven't had any since. This may be to do with the fact I have a supersoaker that gets fired in the direction of any herons or cats I see...

Sponsored Links
Back