Dragons Den invention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just drill 20mm hole through cavity, pass through 20mm round conduit and pass cable through that. What a joke.

We should protect the cable through cavity anyway.

Sponsored Links
you'll have to be more specific..
is that your idea for dragons den?
or you trying to take the mickey out of something seen on there that not everyone on here may have seen?

A woman came up with a cable routing thingymajig that has a magnet on the end on an 18" plastic stick, push the stick through a hole & feed a cable (with appropriate end wotsit stuck on) back through the cavity.

Supposedly useful for Bt/Cable/Sky installers etc.

Duncan & James took it on board.

Obviously they are not aware of this.

Sponsored Links
ah i see.. the "magna mole"..

so you'd drill a 20mm hole, blow out half a brick or a 6 inch patch of plaster, put a conduit through that you've no way of securing and then have to seal it up, all for a telepone / sky / cctv cable?

I've drilled 22mm holes myself before now for lights and such outside, because you can fit the coupler to the light and glue the conduit in, but on more than one occasion the conduit wouldn't go through because the inner hole didn't line up exactly with the outer hole.
the drilbit tip is bigger than the shaft of it and there is a little bit of play, there's also the possibility of hitting a joint in the void and the bit wandering to center itself over it..

are you patronising me or teaching me to suck eggs. Choose a drill bit with the head equalling the size of conduit. Of course i drill a smaller hole first and then the larger later Drill out to in and i am fully able to patch a small blow, if it occurs. If you drilled a hole where the inner and outer did not match up more than once , why did you dot learn your lesson or learn to drill straighter/more accurately. Are you saying that you leave cables running through a cavity unprotected. There are many approved building adhesives that secure a through conduit.

Choose a drill bit with the head equalling the size of conduit.
Life is rarely that easy - if the masonry bit head is no bigger than the conduit, then the hole/have has/have to be exactly straight for the conduit to pass through easily.

If you drilled a hole where the inner and outer did not match up more than once , why did you dot learn your lesson or learn to drill straighter/more accurately.
Hitting a wall tie is an indication of bad luck, not incompetence.

actually i just watched the link~(thks 17th) and was struck with how she reminded me of an ex girlfriend, mannerisms and looks, been on the vodka too so I would have given her any deal she wanted cos I thought it was an absolutely brilliant idea :idea:
what was it again? cant think,my minds on other things :)

Nice bit of hole drilling, nearly as straight as mine BT must be getting better!
Still don't get it :confused: so you drill out of line holes through cavity wall,
then cut a cross section through wall so you can feed a rod through it so you can see to guide the rod through hole at the other end?

mattt1e non of Sharon's 50k was budgeted for vodka what's that all about :eek:

OK with an empty cavity but they now have insulation in them and once you withdraw the drill there is no longer a hole so the cable has to be taped onto the drill so there is never a point where nothing fills the hole. Seems rather useless to have something which will only work with some walls.

He said "I'll get my tool from the van", and it was a coathanger, which naturally I thought "God you don't even know whats in the inside of that cavity" my health and safety background came into force

:confused:

But he's just drilled through it, he'll have hit anything thats there regardless of whether he uses a coathanger or a "magna-mole"

Sounds like the cable doesn't attach to the end that securly either... I'll stick with cable rods and tape :LOL: ... and if you want to do the dreaded, you can get them up the cavity as well ;)

And under floorboards, nothing will ever be as usful as a bit of trunking lid :LOL: [/quote]

I'm still convinced I saw a chap on there about 2 series ago with the same thing :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back