Dragons Den invention

mattt1e non of Sharon's 50k was budgeted for vodka what's that all about :eek:

it was about me being on the vodka when i posted I'm now very hung over :confused:

Yeh been more appealing if vodka had been budgeted for though!
and happy hangover :D
I think i've got one coming on, so need to prepare myself for it. :)
They are open?
Oh! think i've just been invited somewhere I can hear music :D

Sponsored Links
I just drill 20mm hole through cavity, pass through 20mm round conduit and pass cable through that. What a joke.

We should protect the cable through cavity anyway.

But bridging a cavity is not good, it could allow damp to cross between the walls.

Then consider the fact that a hole should be angled down from the inside out or up from the outside in to also prevent moisture bridging. So how would you then fit a conduit fitting or box to a conduit that is angled by 15 deg ?

As for protection inside the cavity, why ?

But bridging a cavity is not good, it could allow damp to cross between the walls.
PVC conduit is not significantly absorbent, so will not transfer moisture except by drips running down the underside. So you angle it.

Then consider the fact that a hole should be angled down from the inside out or up from the outside in to also prevent moisture bridging. So how would you then fit a conduit fitting or box to a conduit that is angled by 15 deg ?
Cut it off flush with the wall surface.

As for protection inside the cavity, why ?
To protect the cable against polystyrene cavity wall insulation contact, for example.

Sponsored Links
A lad I work with got given one of them magna moles with a set of screwdrivers from the wholesalers as they couldn't sell any.

We had a play with it and it's poo.

The little screw on jobbies don't fit on on any abnormally large cables like 1.5mm t&e :rolleyes:

The magnets are not very strong, and keep falling off.

You get a free drill bit with the kit, but it's not SDS, so is no good in our drill.

Cable rods have done fine for me for the last 10 years or so... :D

Long masonry drill pilot hole from inside with slight downward angle right out to exterior. Then drill from both sides with correct sized masonry bit to allow conduit to pass through allowing for 'slight deviations. (22mm or 24mm bit for 20mm conduit). Tape length of nylon string to pilot drill bit ensuring you tape from the string to the drill bit so overlap forms a slight taper, thereby not catching numerous edges of tape on surrounding brickwork and feed through hole from inside to out. Feed end of string down conduit and with assistance from apprentice/mate inside guiding the conduit you gently pull from the outside. Cut conduit at an angle to obtain a perpendicular finish.
Simples! :LOL:

I think this device is really aimed at Telcos, for installing lightweight telephone/aerial/satellite cables. It was a BT engineer trying to install her phone that triggered her "Eureka" moment.

I think the H&S issues were with pokng a coat hanger though the cavity where other wires might be?

A woman came up with a cable routing thingymajig that has a magnet on the end on an 18" plastic stick, push the stick through a hole & feed a cable (with appropriate end wotsit stuck on) back through the cavity.

Supposedly useful for Bt/Cable/Sky installers etc.

Duncan & James took it on board.

Obviously they are not aware of this.

It does to show how bright the Dragons are...LOL!!
Should take some rods into the Den and they would do back flips with excitement!

Duncan & James took it on board.

Obviously they are not aware of this.
It does to show how bright the Dragons are...LOL!!
Should take some rods into the Den and they would do back flips with excitement!
I don't think the cleverness of the invention, or lack of it, was what motivated the Dragons. They're interested only in its profitability, and, since the woman seemed to sweating bulk orders from every pore, they did exactly the right thing.

And don't think that they won't check the market themselves before handing over the money - there are more behind-the-scenes caveats then you can imagine, so saying "I'm in" on the TV doesn't constitute a binding contract.

I think you're all being a bit harsh -she seems a hard working single mother trying to earn a crust..unless you know better??

It's also well known that several of the 'inventors' go on DD not to raise cash but to raise profile.This was the case of the Chinese girl and her car rental website. DD approached her to go on the show -not the other way round..

She is mentioned on "Breakfast" on the BBC this morning.

And she was on GMTV last week, in the flesh.
Not bad for a chick from Scunthorpe.
Good luck to her.
Now, where's my coat hanger...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back