Drain-cover sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have a drain cover in our utility room, which has no grease at all and from time to time is a little niffy...

Manhole grease seems really expensive and we don't need several kilos.

Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As long as the cover doesn't have a rubber seals then any grease will do really as long as it's thick enough, from an LM to Moly or vaseline (as @HERTS P&D suggests) You don't need to spend lots of money on it.

If it does have a rubber seal then a Lanolin (as suggested by @Nige F) or a silicone based grease will do the job

The other question I'd ask is why you are getting smells through the cover, the sewer run should be well vented and open to the air through a stack somewhere and if you seal that manhole will there then be a build up of gases, I'd get it checked out.

[QUOTE

The other question I'd ask is why you are getting smells through the cover, the sewer run should be well vented and open to the air through a stack somewhere and if you seal that manhole will there then be a build up of gases, I'd get it checked out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

There is indeed a vent at the top of the soil pipe. I'd just assumed that the smell was due to what running under the manhole and what it was connected to, and that some gas is bound to escape from the cover which is not currently airtight?

There is indeed a vent at the top of the soil pipe

As long as it's been checked and it is vented then there's no issue. Sometimes it can be indicative of a sewer not being vented properly by say all the stacks on the runs being capped with air admittance valves and then the gases find the only other way out when the sewer becomes positively pressurised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back