persistant drain blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is about 30yrs old and recently, the drain outlet for the downstairs toilet has been blocking up with tissue & "stuff" on almost a weekly basis. Luckily this seems to occur right under the manhole cover as it enters the main drain (which we are at the end of).

Once unblocked, I test flush the toilet and it seems ok but can't understand why it keeps blocking??? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing it?

many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo trooper 318

im no plumber

when you rod it can you"feel" any point where the rod jumps
:?:
have you checked the next manhole cover :?:

is there other houses "upstream"on the run and do they use nappies ive heard of nappies blocking drains

There are no trees and no one is 'upstream', if we had i wouldn't have this problem :cry:

not got any rods..thinking a purchase might be in order.

Sponsored Links
can you get access to the next inspection chamber in line? How have you been clearing the blockage so far?

we are at the very end of the drainage system so no one is upstream. To clear it, all I need to do i put the hose on it and it breaks up and flows away.

Was considering put some drain unblocking fluid down the toilet to see if that helps.

i like caustic soda...hmmmmm

Replaced the stack recently (any cast iron down there ?)

Could be slight move in the drains/ground around it and its caused the drain to be off set ?

Baby wipes are a no-no (they lodge on the slightest edge" and build up and do not desintegrate).. last nites curry..another big no-no (do it work and share !!).

It should not block..so u have summit up with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back