Drain - foul or rain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have taken on the task of building an open plan kitchen at the front of the house. However I have made a huge mistake and began work with out the proper planning! I am trying to do the pipe work for the waste but I am not sure if the below is a waste gully or rain water drain.

Does anyone know what the below is? How can I find out if it is ok to drain a sink waste at this point?

Thanks for any help!

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Chances are it'll be rain water as it's open to the elements and act as a ground water drain as well. Depends on your drainage though as it may be combined. More details needed really. If you contact your water supplier they may have plans that you could use.

Jon

It looks pretty old, and clay gullies are often cracked and broken, so leaking in the ground. If so the surface around it may sink, or sound hollow, and there may be red worms.

Apart from that, if you have any "man hole covers" look down them while someone pours water down your drain, then follow to see if you have combined drainage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys. On the phone to Thames water to see if they have any idea.

Looks like i have to install a Macerator :(..... any tips on which one to choose?

kitchen sink and washing machine, approx 12 meters.

I'd still plump for a 4" drain. Fit and forget. Doesn't need to be ridiculously deep unless its running under a driveway, use a bottle gulley to provide rodding access along the drain run, and it can drop over the last section of the run if need be to meet the existing drain. Macerator's are a last resort, only time I'd ever consider one is if I was below the level of the drain and didn't have a choice. Even then there are other possibilities.

Hi Hugh,

Problem is that would mean destroying concrete in the front which I can not do. Downstairs is a commercial property and i will not get the permission. Only option i have is to run pipe through the house approx 12 meters to the 4" soil pipe. It will only be for a sink and a washing machine so I am hoping I wont have any issues with blockages. I have purchased the SaniVite macerator which I plan to hook up with a 32mm solvent weld discharge with immediate elevation of 2.5 meters followed by 3 92.5 long degree bends. The pipe will then be increased to 40mm and a further 4 bends until it finally reaches the soil pipe. All of this pipe work will hopefully have a 1:100 fall straight after the elevation. Do you think it will be ok to use the 92.5 degree bend? Will there be a significant difference is I use 2 45 degree bends?

When pumping vertically I have found the supplied NRV leaks and causes random activation!

Tony

I don't see an issue with using the 92.5° bends, the 90° 'knuckle' bends will slow the flow right down and could cause an issue. Possibly look at using Tee's instead on the bends, and fit a cleaning eye in the 3rd socket to allow for future maintenance.

The gulley pictured in you first post, have to tested this to see if it isn't able to accept your wastes? Given the possible age of the pipework looking at it, you could find it's connected to a 'combined' system of drainage, whereby the one sewer takes both foul and surface water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back