Drain inspection cover with grate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve got a drain inspection hatch in the porch of my garage which needs replacing as it’s completely rusted. I’m fairly happy with the process to do that, but I’m not sure what cover/frame to replace it with.

Load-wise this will never get vehicle traffic so it doesn’t need to be too heavy duty. The unusual bit is that this is a cover over a culvert with a groundwater spring running through it, and I would like to be able to hear if not see the water because it’s 1) pleasant sounding and 2) let’s me know how much it’s flowing.

Is there any kind of standard product that would fit the bill? Failing that I might speak to a local metal fabricator but I’m assuming that will be more expensive than a standard part, plus they might want a full design when all I really have is the criteria above.

Any advice ‘grate’fully received!

Attachments

• BCF8E826-F75E-4993-B03A-533FF3F11F41.jpeg
    BCF8E826-F75E-4993-B03A-533FF3F11F41.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
No standard part but you could get a new cover - use the existing surround - drill some holes in the new cover . Or take the old cover to a fabricator and they'll size/price something for you.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I've been through some of the online sites. Lots of options, but none that are a good match for my requirement - hence the question about whether such a thing exists.

The idea about drilling some holes in a standard cover is not a bad one and probably a cheap route to getting what I need so I might give that a bash and see how it works out - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back