Drain is overflowing from kitchen

Domestic sewers cause few problems , commercial kitchens dumping lots of fat are a main problem especially in central London.

Sponsored Links
I personally wipe the pan first with kitchen roll

Same here.

Because I've seen inside a few kitchen sink waste pipes.

Any actual visible fat (e.g. roasting pan) I pour into a can (or a dripping bowl) and it gets thrown away, or occasionally used in frying.

BTW the fatty kitchen roll is good for starting barbies, but foxes will eat it if you leave it outside.

Tried to get what I could with a spoon but got little out. Was c suggested to use a jet washer. Would this work?
DSC_0625.JPG

what was the stuff you got out?

where have you put it?

why can't we see the grille of the gully?

Sponsored Links
The plastic grill is there. I couldn't remove it fully so was putting spoon down hole where downpipe went. Got out smallish of white stuff. It stank. Is it a job for her £250 hose pipe boys?

Attachments

• DSC_0626.JPG
    DSC_0626.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 215
the grill has to come up.

if the pipes are in the way, you could cut them and rejoin afterwards. I expect they are plastic which is easy to cut with a fine-toothed or hacksaw.

It's too early to say that you have to pay hundreds to a squirting company.

An older plumber or handyman who doesn't find stinking filth can do it.

the grill has to come up.

if the pipes are in the way, you could cut them and rejoin afterwards. I expect they are plastic which is easy to cut with a fine-toothed or hacksaw.

It's too early to say that you have to pay hundreds to a squirting company.

An older plumber or handyman who doesn't find stinking filth can do it.

My friend is going to put some drain unblocker down there that one something stuff.
If I used the pressure washer won't crap go over everything?

if the drain is fully blocked and full of detritus, the chemical will just lie on the surface.

Warn anybody who later tries to help that dangerous chemicals have been used. They might get it on their skin.

^^^^^^ Take John's advice.

Also beware caustic soda, it can creates a violent reaction when water is poured onto the crystals producing scalding hot water / steam

How good are these?

The thing is in this particular drain when I prodded around I couldn't feel any hole or pipe or anything. In the video there's a nice visible pipe to stick hose down then push it along.

The Drain will have a right angle bend as a trap to stop smells etc, you could try pushing a flexible hose pipe into the gully and try flushing it through,

where is the nearest Manhole Inspection Cover, do it the Old Fashioned way get a set of rods and rod out the drain from the inspection pit whilst running water into the gully

shopping

The Drain will have a right angle bend as a trap to stop smells etc, you could try pushing a flexible hose pipe into the gully and try flushing it through,

where is the nearest Manhole Inspection Cover, do it the Old Fashioned way get a set of rods and rod out the drain from the inspection pit whilst running water into the gully

shopping

So your saying attack the blockage from a manhole push the rods towards the drain from the manhole? I can't even find the hole in the blocked drain. I'll get a rod from b and q.

Borrow a wet and dry vacuum cleaner and suck the mess out, then you will be able to see the exit from the drain. Better still buy one as the person you borrow from may not want it back no matter how hard you try you clean it.

Borrow a wet and dry vacuum cleaner and suck the mess out, then you will be able to see the exit from the drain. Better still buy one as the paint erson you borrow from may not want it back no matter how hard you try you clean it.

Ain't that the truth lol. No wonder gutter guys charge so much lol. It reeks. Would u put the rod in from drain side or manhole side?

I heard pressure washers and high pressure hoses need to be operated by people with insurance as u can crack the drain somewhere near the houses foundations and cause lots of damage but the rods are safe and don't damage anything

but the rods are safe and don't damage anything

I have seen old drains broken by rods. Rodding from the drain will be difficult if not impossible unless the rods are very flexible. There is ( or should be ) a sharp bend in the trap in the trap gully. Rodding from the manhole towards the drain can compact the blockage.

edit... typos corrected

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back