Drain Layout - Which best? ...Anyone :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just looking for your opinions on the best way to run a new kitchen drain pipe I'm installing. I've done a quick sketch below showing the layout of the pipe exit from the wall, the Drain hopper it'll feed into (am in first floor flat), and the three poss pipe runs. I've also noted the distance between points.

drains2kv0.jpg

Is it best to:
A - Run pipe along then down
B - Diagonally straight run(altho I think this would prob be too steep)
C - Down then across, then dropping into hopper.
:?: :?:

Just above the hopper is a course of sticky outy tiles, since lower half of building just brick, upper half rendered over, so there would be a slight 'step' out of about 2" where pipe reaches hopper, so couple of 45 deg bends called for.

Any thoughts on best layout :?:

Cheers for all suggestions :D

JOE

Sponsored Links
C would look best IMO.

If you can run some inside and box in etc , it would look a lot better than having all that pipework on show outside IMO :D

B would not look good :!:

Hi Bahco,
Cant really box in the pipes inside (washing machine sits up against the wall), only wanted one outlet from inside, rather than separate for Wash/Machine + another for the sink.

I had thought that 'B' might be incorrect 'technically' with too steep a fall, but then looking at other houses I seem to think that anything goes... This would defo be the easiest + least complicated :)

I was otherwise thinking of going for 'A', but theres not really any difference between 'A' + 'C'. Am I right in thinking that 'A' would have the water falling into the hopper much harder because of the ~70cm drop direct into the hopper? Whereas 'C' would have the falling water caught at the bottom elbow and then flowing along and then pouring into the hopper softer... :confused:

Would I be better using Swept or Normal bends do you think :?:

I can see that 'C' would prob look better as the horizontal run would be just above the Brick/Render line, so not in the middle of the wall.

Am I putting far too much thought into a simple pipe run :?: :?:

Joe

Stop worrying and do C. Use swept bends.

A and B are wrong.

Just 'cos your neioghbours pipes look a mess doesn't mean yours need to as well .

Happy plumbing :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ok Ta for that Dan,
It seems that the limited concensus is going for the 'C' option, Swept bends it is also - I had originally planned on using them.

Out of curiosity - When would you use 'normal' 90deg bends? - On horizontal runs where it doesn't matter about the way the water flows, Whereas Swept on a vertical drop can give a smoother flow?

Ta Guys
:D

Personally I would only use knuckle bends for awkward spots - always use swept.

If the consensus is limited it is normally because there's no point duplicating advice.

Some posts don't get a reply because it is obvious that the Op hasn't bothered to read the rules or run a quick search.

Dan,
Have I touched a nerve or said something to upset you :?:

Nothing I had said previously was meant to be snidey or such... I am really grateful for any advice anyone more experienced in these matters than me...read anyone :) Could give.

I just like re-assurance! I could blindly weld a few pipes together to join point A-B, and it probably would be OK... But then it might not, and whats the harm in asking for some knowledgable advice :?:

I do usually have a scan through the old posts to see if anythin could be of use, but I didn't find any thats answered my Question.

So Thanks Again to the two of You
and
Sorry!

Joe

Dan, maybe it's your subscript?

He's not to know you say it to everyone.

Do I?

ce la vie - I'm am happy to help most of the time. So apologies if I am a bit beligerant. Certain posters here do tend to get backs up....

Perhaps when the missus gets back on Sunday I'll relax a little ;). 6 weeks of bachelordom gets to you ....

JohnD,
When you say subscript ... if you're referring to the 'signature' line at the bottom... I 've seen that it is Dans' usual line so I have no probs with that at all :) When I first saw it I though it was Great :LOL:

Dan,
If No prob with you - No prob with me. :)

We're all happy.. Thanks Again for all advice peeps

Joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back