Drain pipe identification/routing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a new inspection chamber in my drive. We keep getting blockages out in the road & it takes me two complete sets of rods to reach it from the present chamber. If I install one at the end of the drive it will be a whole lot easier to rod through.

The problem is, where on earth does the pipe go? The chances of it following a nice straight line from the existing chamber are probably small so is there a piece of kit I can hire to find the pipe as I don't want to be randomly digging 1 metre deep holes all over the place!!

As I suspect the answer is "no" due to the pipe being clay, is there a detector that can trace water pipes, as I could possibly use this to detect the pipe next time it gets blocked?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can detect the pipe run using a detector and sonde

http://www.hss.com/g/49514/Cable-Avoiding-Tool-33khz.html

Don't forget that you need to let building control know if you are changing the foul water run.

If you are getting repeated blockages then it may be worth having a camera survey to identify the cause rather than repeatedly rodding the run clear

A new manhole is not really the answer to continually blocked drains - unless you build the manhole where the blockage is occuring!

If the drains are blocking in the road, then get your water authority to sort them out or charge them each time your drains block.

Rather than messing about with a CAT and drain rods, get a proper camera survey done, which will locate pipes and problems

Thanks. I have had a camera down & the problem is that there is a 90 degree bend in the road & NO fall on the pipes there! Also, as the main sewer is around 60 feet from my house its my responsibility.

Installing an inspection chamber won't solve the problem, but trying to rod round that bend with two sets of rods is a bit of a chore, so it will at least make it easier!

See here for diagram of the problem:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149624

As I'm in the middle of building an extension I'm in regular contact with the BCO.

Sponsored Links
hi
1. Has it always had repeat blockages from the date of construction?
2. Did the camera survey show any scale or debris wqithin the pipe?
3. Did the camera pass through to the connection with the local authority sewer?

if blockages have only started occurring over a timescale at least 1 year after construction then i would doubt that the pipe is at fault workmanship wise.
scale and grease can accumalate over time and layers build up causing the fall if slight to level out.
when a drain blocks it usually coats the pipe with grease etc and rodding is only a blockage removal remedy.
i suspect that a high pressure water jetting operation @ 4000 psi if the pipes are clay would restore this pipe to a clean and free flowing condition.
this type of operation is usually monitored with CCTV to ensure that all scale and associated debris have been removed. The cost would probably
be similar to constructing a new chamber. (depth not known)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back