Drain Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi rural area and I have a bathroom extension downstairs with a toilet and sink. I want to build a conservatory leaning to this and there is a drain, that water from the main roof runs into against the original house wall. I dont know exactly where it goes and I want to move it outside the conservatory do I need planning permission. Can I just put a new drain in and run it to the foul water drain round the back of the extension. the house was built about 1939
thankyou for any help

Sponsored Links
If it is practical to do so then the drain can be re-sited. You should not run it into the foul system if your property does not accommodate both foul and storm. It may involve building a soakaway.

Whether or not this is controlled work depends upon interpretation, which i'm afraid is a grey area.

I was of the impression all underground drainage work was controlled, therefore would require a visit from building control. ALL soakaways i have built have been inspected.

Some posters on the forum insist that their local bc are not interested if the works are integrated with a conservatory. Ho hum.

Thanks for the reply Noseall there is another drain I have to deal with wich is also in the site of the new conservatory this is for the washing machine and kitchen sink neither this one or the downspout go to the soil drain. when the council put in the extension for the bathroom and toilet in 1976 the soil drain shared in an entry between us and next door also takes the sink and bath waste water from the extension and the roof water off the extension and is shared with next door and there extension water goes in it also. We live in a row of semi rural terraced houses all ex council
thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back