Drain smell inside house - tracing source

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day all,
New member here.

We bought a new house a couple of years ago, and have been battling with a number of undisclosed problems, that have cost a fortune so far (inc leaking flat roof etc). Ah well, caveat emptor.

One intermittent problem has been a smell of the drains in the lounge. (I know know why viewings were on sunny days with the outside doors open).
We are on a septic tank that is in good order, and have had a full drain inspection and relined any problem areas. The problem is reduced, but not eliminated. The latest diagnosis is that the source might be a segment of drain that is under the house/lounge floor. The floor is a very expensive solid oak floor and I want to lift that as an absolute last resort.

I have access to the general area where a boxed in down pipe , running internally, hits the bend and goes off about 1.5m to an external manhole. The camera inspection implies an old rodding eye in this segment, but it is hard to see if ot is properly capped off.

So, in terms of tracing. I am wondering if it is possible to add an odiferous chemical to the system, to see if it can be detected inside the house. Ideally, a pleasant odour to which we are sensitive, as opposed to the current 'biological' odour!

The house is attractive, because all drains and stink pipes are located internally, but plan B is to externalise this stack, which would be complicated and unsightly. Hence, the current request for a tracing solution.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Sponsored Links
have you had a full CCTV drain survey? that would usually reveal any leaks/cracks/gaps in the pipework. they cost around £200 and you would need to specify why you need it, as there's no guarantee they can explore every inch of it, but it's a start. I would sure like to "see" what's underneath before even thinking of ripping the floor out.

Thanks,
We did have that survey, and they had another look at the 'region of interest'. THis has suggested that a section under the floor, right near the problem area, has a defunct branch or a rodding eye. Because we only have the problem with certain wind directions, it may well be that this was the source of the foul gasses. Yesterday, we had that section lined, and now we wait for the (literally, in more than one way) 'winds of change' to see if the problem is resolved. TBH, I am optimistic. We had another section relined and the solvent smell in the house was strong. THis time, almost no solvent smell. Fingers crossed.

<RANT>

This is a lesson in the meaning of 'caveat emptor'. We bought this house 'ready to move in to'. Apart from the exposed drains - (we found another open drain in a different part of the house), the large flat porch leaked really badly (it was never possible to view the house in the rain - wonder why), there were cut off, but live wires in three places in the loft, the septic tank had problems, the shiny new family bathroom combined all three wastes (shower, sink bath) inaccessibly, and had inadequate fall/turns such that the shower tray filled up and overflowed (no wonder it looked so clean and new). But perhaps worse of all, the flue from the wood burner, when exposed to be replaced, revealed that it was so sloppily installed that it had been causing charring of the joists - a real potential fire risk!

Three years later, all of this has been fixed, and the house has (£££££) been substantially improved. I am confident that the purchasers - whenever, we have no plans to move at all - will not have the same problems we had.

But, it really ****es me off, and there should be more detailed questions about 'known problems'

</RANT>

Sponsored Links
Re rant, sorry to hear that. We've had a property that Jack built too - I think the worse vendor is a DIYer with a little knowledge. Nor do I think a full survey would pick up a lot of the snags you mention. In my experience they're in and out before the tea's cool enough to drink!

Chin up. :)

Update, Further CCTV work has suggested that there is a piece of old plumbing (earthenware pipe) that had a rodding eye or branch in it, and this was probably not capped off. We have had that relined, (no mean feat, I gather) and since then, no bad smell in the house at all. I don't want to tempt fate...but....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back