drain testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would be grateful for some advice on the following -

I have been building my own house (in scotland) and have recently had the BCO out for the completion certificate. Everything was fine, although he now wants to witness a drain test.

When I installed the drainage (a year ago), I called the BCO to advise them that the drainage was completed (and ready for them to witness a test) - their response was "what are you telling us for?, we don't come out for drains, just take digital pictures". I took pictures and recorded the results of the drain test and then back-filled. He know says he wants to witness a test as he says its a statutory requirement (begs the question as to why they don't come out when it is laid!)

The BCO (and the department) are a complete nightmare to deal with, and I don't see why I should have to take up the rodding eyes (and part of the patio) to gain enough access to clean the pipe and insert the bungs - as well as dangling into the IC to insert the bungs! (Health and Safety, guv!)

Should I just get on with the test, or suggest that they are being unreasonable and accept the results that they should have witnessed in the first place!

I will NEVER build a house again, or do anything that involves a BCO - they take 4 weeks to answer a letter, never respond to emails/phone messages......

cheers
tim

Sponsored Links
Why have you got to take up the patio ?? surely its not a major issue to put a bung in and fill the system up, what do you need to uncover, rodding eyes and chamber lids should be easily accessible.
Sounds like they should have had a look when you requested but then the Scottish regs do differ a bit I think to ours !!
But it sounds reasonable to me that they want to see drains on test.

I've never known any BCO's to not witness a drains test. Is it your word against theirs or are there notes on file, which back up your claim? Speak to another BCO (maybe the chief/head) if you're not sure.

Sponsored Links
Bung it, do a test and when you are happy, then go down the route of having a go a BC. That way if it all goes tits up then tell them, come down and see the test.

BC should not have let you continue to the next stages of the build without completing the previous. As it had not EVER been brought up before now then I would say they are at fault a little.

Talk to the chief and explain your dilemma, should be understanding.

some BCO's a little power merchants, but most are fine ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back