Drain under a conservatory - problem or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post so thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

I'm in the middle of having a conservatory built by a local firm. When the guy came around to do the quote, the one area I highlighted was a drain at the back of the house (where the conservatory is going) which takes the feed from the washing machine and sink - a white pipe comes out of the wall from the kitchen and into this drain. The drain is open as I used to have an outside tap above it. Hope that all makes sense!

I highlighted to the conservatory firm that this would obviously need moving / fixing somehow and they assured me that it wouldn't be a problem, they could move it. Work started a few weeks later and to my surpise, the builder employed by the conservatory firm didn't know anything about moving the drain. He dug out all of the foundations, started the brickwork, etc and the drain was still where it was. I phoned the conservatory firm a few times to ask what was happening and everytime I got a different story about who was moving it.

Last week, I got home from work to find that the concrete floor had been put in while the drain was still in place underneath. Obviously, they must have done something to stop the concrete from getting into the drain as it all still works (water flows down the sink OK), but I now have the white pipe from the kitchen going into the concrete floor, about six inches of which is visible. There's also a gap behind the pipe and the wall. I very much suspect that he has just covered it with blue polythene sheet and concreted over it but obviously I don't know!

I raised this with the conservatory firm and they said that it was a temporary fix and someone else would move the drain later. This continued all of last week, phone calls to and from, until now the rest of the conservatory is complete - all UPVC up, doors in, all plastering done, etc. The drain STILL is underneath the floor and now they're saying that there isn't a problem with it, it's all OK and that's how they normally do it. Not having any knowlege of this, I don't know if this is right or not.

My instincts say that it isn't - what would happen if the drain blocked? It seems to me that it would flood under the conservatory floor with no way to get access to it.

I wonder if any of you could shed any light on it? Are they correct? I haven't paid them any money yet.

Thanks a million!

Sponsored Links
Did they take the gulley trap out?

Just looked at what a gulley trap is - you mean the bit that was built up above the ground that the drain opening sat in? No, they definitely didn't take this out, just covered it up and concreted over it. I've got some photos on my phone from before and during the build, I'll post them up here later when I get home.

Sponsored Links
They're bull5hitting you how are they going to move the drain now and get your kitchen sink working again, without you seeing the pipe in your conservatory

They're bull5hitting you how are they going to move the drain now and get your kitchen sink working again, without you seeing the pipe in your conservatory

That's the point - they're now saying they're not going to move it because it's absolutely OK where it is. I don't care about seeing the pipe in the conservatory, it'd easily be boxed in - it's more the fact about not being to get access to the drain in case it floods.

Freddy - thanks for confirming what I thought, but can you pinpoint *exactly* why it's wrong, is it against building regs or anything? I need a a bit of ammo before arguing with the builders. At the minute I'm just saying I think it's wrong and they're saying it's right.

I don't care about seeing the pipe in the conservatory, it'd easily be boxed in
Why on earth not, I would :eek: ; especially as you raised it as something you wanted sorted from the start. With a reputable company, you shouldn’t have needed to worry about it & that is just a total complete joke :rolleyes: , it begs the question what the rest is like :confused: . A total bunch of utter cowboy asreholes, please say you haven’t paid them in full?

No, not paid them a penny yet - I'm not that stupid :confused:

I don't want to get distracted by the aesthetics of seeing a pipe or not, I know it's important but it's not the main point I'm looking at - cheers for the reply but I'm more concerned about the problem of an open drain being under the floor, which may flood in the future with no way of getting access to it. Am I right in thinking that could happen?

Did you put any of your concerns about the drain in writing or was it all by phone ?

No idea where missing posts have gone - I haven't deleted anything!

I haven't got anything in writing and that's part of the problem I assume. The guy running the conservatory firm is pretty disorganised and only even gave me a written quote with a fixed price when I asked for about the 5th time. This is simply a scribbled note on letter headed paper with the size of the conservatory on and the price. It doesn't mention the drain.

All of my contact with him has been by phone, nothing written, which I'm starting to regret. I have got photos of every day in the build progress and I have phone records of times/dates of conversation, so I should be able to piece together the timeline of what was said / what happened.

I've got an independent building inspector coming around tonight to look at it and give me some advice. However, I know he's going to say it's wrong, that much is obvious - my question now is what exacty can I do about it??? Would I legally be allowed to give him written notice that I expect the drain to be moved to my satisfaction and withhold a proportion of the money until it is done?

I think you will have a serious problem

Your photos prove that you took care to observe what was happening and as you say .....

"... I have got photos of every day in the build progress and I have phone records of times/dates of conversation, so I should be able to piece together the timeline of what was said / what happened. "

If I were the builder and wanted to be difficult, I would say this proved that you were completely aware of everything that happened and your (provable) lack of complaint shows that you were happy the work was proceeding as desired.

I haven't got anything in writing and that's part of the problem I assume

You assume very rightly IMO.

When you were aware how disorganised this guy was, what on earth possessed you to do everything by phone ? Wasn't there any inkling in your mind that things might not go according to plan and you would need some actual documentary proof what was agreed ?

I know I've been naive but I know absolutely nothing about building or drainage. That was the reason for the post in the first place!

Surely you could turn it around on it's head as well, I haven't signed anything and I know for sure he has nothing in writing agreeing a price (I had to push for that and he scribbled out a signed note at my house, he took nothing away himself). He admitted on the phone the other day that he doesn't even remember how much the quote was for.

If I'm up the creek without a paddle because I have nothing in writing, then surely he is double so? I still have every single penny of the money sitting in my bank account and a (mostly) nice new conservatory sitting on the back of my house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back