Drain waste for sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

While doing some work around the outside drain, I found a bodge where someone has put a clay waste gully inside another clay waste gully to increase the height and debris has been dropping into this pipe over the years through the gaps.

The toilet and sink appear to have there own pipe that feeds to a manhole/ rodding point 1m behind, this is just for the downstairs. Upstairs goes into a soil stack and goes into the sewer at the back of the house.

The clay pipe in question just carry's waste from the sink.

My question is, does this look right, should there even be a P trap there?

And do I even need the part of the pipe that has the grate ontop or can I remove the gully and connect directly to the waste pipe as there is a manhole cover 1m behind so cant see the point of it.

Some photos:

Drain grate
Bodge 1
Bodge 2

Drain pipe
Drain pipe 2
Back of gully

Short video

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That arrangement doesn't need a Trap if the Hopper is sealed, I would suspect it originally had a sealed plate fitted to the hopper, which has since been removed, and another hopper put in to raise the height. Difficult to know what to suggest with the back inlet, as that will be difficult to remove without breaking it.

If there is access to that run from the manhole, then I'd just seal off the top of the hopper, and bury the lot again.

That arrangement doesn't need a Trap if the Hopper is sealed, I would suspect it originally had a sealed plate fitted to the hopper, which has since been removed, and another hopper put in to raise the height. Difficult to know what to suggest with the back inlet, as that will be difficult to remove without breaking it.

If there is access to that run from the manhole, then I'd just seal off the top of the hopper, and bury the lot again.

Thanks for the help.

Only reason I can think why the drain is there was because the old toilet overflow pipe was above, but who knows with this house, as it appears to be a Friday build.

I'm going to see if I can remove the trap and hopper and run a straight piece of pipe if the fall allows for it, failing that I will just cap it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back