Drainage for Paving? Which way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at laying some paving in my front garden and I need to remove quite a bit of soil / rubble as my garden has previously been resting a little bit higher than the airbricks.

I've dug away the soil and stone from in front of the airbrick however it would appear that there is a gap between the bricks now and the foundations:-

41000_40137_21678_92956551_thumb.jpg

You can see from the below image where the dampcourse is:-

41000_40137_21679_65667828_thumb.jpg

Now if I compare the bottom of the airbrick to the main street pavement, the airbrick is approximately 6 inches lower than the pavement. Therefore, if I wanted to law the paving stones to drain into the road, I'd have to block the airbricks. I do however have a small drain that gets rid of rainwater just in front of the front wall (with airbricks) that could possibly get rid of any rain water that lands on the paving.

My main concerns are:-

1.) Have I dug to far down or should this level of brick be exposed to reduce damp?
2.) Any suggestions about draining given that I'd have to drain upwards if draining into the road?

I have compared measurements from the window sill to the airbrick both in and outside the house and it would appear that the airbrick sits below skirting board level and so I assume this is solely facilitating air circulation below floor level?

Sponsored Links
cant really make out from the pictures, but you cant drain a paved front garden area over 5m2 directly onto the highway, without planning permission (which youll never get!) Therefore you need to deal with the water another way either a linear drain across the front of the property, which isnt an option due to the falls on tha paving, so therefore you will need to slope it towards the house and install a linear drain along the front of the house and either drain it into the rainwater system or a soakaway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back