drainage - how would you deal with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This drain was 'modified' to accommodate the black drive drain, presumably by the people who laid the drive.

Problem is the drive run off doesn't actually run down the drain but mostly along side of it.

A drainage person has quoted me 800 pounds to replace the drain.

I'm considering repairing with waterproof cement and modifying the plastic bits so it all drains into drain properly.

What would the experts do I wonder?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Two options possibly. Either, fit a new section of channel drain to suit, with a bottom outlet, connect via a 'tick' trap to the existing drain.

Or, alternative, maybe better idea, is to fit a new channel section with a horizontal outlet. This can be connected to a new bottle gulley with a side boss connection. Gulley can finish flush with final surface level, waste pipe then redirected to discharge into the gulley. (Cut a hole so the waste pipe discharges below the grid.)

The bottle gulley gives you opportunity to clear any detritus collected, and provides access for rodding should need arise. You wont get rods round a 'tick' trap, (although you are still able to clear any debris from the surface).

Watch out for those cables if you start digging :!:

Thanks for the advice. I had another go today and decided that replacing bottle gully was beyond my capability. I ended up rebuilding the surround with waterproof cement and will see how that goes for now. Is replacing bottle gully just a matter of digging it up?

Sponsored Links
So basicly they broke a chunk off of it to get the drainage channel to fit into it?

Also what drain is that? Surface water or foul drain? Where does that White pipe come from?

So basicly they broke a chunk off of it to get the drainage channel to fit into it?

Also what drain is that? Surface water or foul drain? Where does that White pipe come from?

Yep that's right. The white pipe is kitchen outlet - sink, washing machine and dishwasher.

There is also a roof gutter downpipe which is not shown as wad removed.

And then surface drainage from driveway.

Strictly speaking rainwater shouldnt go into the same sewer as foul water. However, older properties were built on a combined system, with both going into the same pipe. (As long as the sink is going to the foul and not the surface water sewer!)

Drainage is usually fairly easy to sort out, various fittings are available to connect different types of pipes. Existing gulley is plastic so joints simply push on, brute force usually gets them apart again! (Once you've dug it out to expose the pipework.)

Hmmm. Interesting. This was done in1994. so If I understand correctly there are two sewers, one for rainwater and one for foul? My soil pipe is actually inside my building and I was initially concerned it was emptying into same drain as roof drainage but don't think it is.

How can I tell which sewer is which?

Surface water if for gutters only and the drains and manholes should be clean, as these will run into a stream.

Foul will be dirty and smelly and go to the sewage works.

Ok that seems logical!
When I lifted the cover on the manhole that this drain discharges into I seem to recall thinking it seemed non smelly. I have two other manhole covers to inspect. I guess if the white pipe needs to change to the other sewer that's going to be a big job due to the soil pipe ring internal and 20 feet away. Wondering if the surveyor should have picked up on this but was only a homeowners report. Will have a think!

Thanks !!!

Have been investigating further. I have three manhole covers on my plot. According to building plans that's two branches of sewer.

As the house was built originally 1930's it seems likely that the drains would be combined and a dedicated surface drain for this age property unlikely?

I lifted the lid closest to the above drain and confirmed above drain does flow into it... was not smelly though!

My foul drains are not smelly or dirty and I'm at the very top of the run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back