drainage issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
building a new garage and want the gutter to run to the rear of the property the garage will be on the rear boundary opening onto a cobbled rear lane the main drain will run under the middle of the garage can I tap into the drain on my boundary and run the downpipe directly into it or put a gulley in and run it into the public drain in the middle of the rear lane approx. 6ft from my boundary line please see the pic new garage will run up to the brown door

Sponsored Links
You need to know if the drain is Storm, Foul or Combined

You should be able to connect your rainwater to a Storm or Combined drain but it MUST be cleared with the Building Inspector and if the drain is a shared one (serving more than just your house) you will also need permission from the Water Authority that owns it.

As for the ground level connection the safe way is to use a trapped gully. A direct connection without a trap would usually be OK only if the drain is a Storm Drain

Also please note that you will need permission from the Water Authority to build the garage over the drain if it is shared.

its a combined drain can I get the drain connected to the main drain in the rear lane of would the water authorities have to do this
if its a large expense I can run the gutter the other way into the same drain as utilities and house gutter but could look unsightly in the rear yard with so many connections
and if I connect directly to the mains on the boundary there is less chance of a blockage if that makes sense

Sponsored Links
Don't overlook the possible issue of a shared drain.

As of a year or two ago the law changed on who was responsible for shared sewers on private land. This was to overcome situations where one owner gets the blockage or damage, but all users really should pay.

So ownership of such sewers is now with the Water Authorities and they have to approve any work that may affect such sewers including building over them.

I understand what you are saying and you are right about the layout. Simple and direct usually works best.

What you must do though, is to get the drainage passed by building control, so have a chat with them to see if they are happy. They will also have local knowledge that can be very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back