Drainage on a porcelain patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, about to start a new patio project, approx 30m2 in size, I've been thinking about drainage, and the most serious conclusion I've come to, is that I install an ACO drain up against the rear wall of the property, connected to the fresh water drain that the gutter downpipe feeds into.

Are there any problems with this? It's really hard to find anything meaningful online.

The other solution would involve placing the drain on the other side of the patio and digging out 2-2.5m3 of hard clay soil by hand for a soakaway which would take some serious time and effort.

Sponsored Links
I didn't build our patio but we have about a similar size area backing up to the house and it has two circular floor drains positioned at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way across and 1/2 the way down (if that makes sense. It is obviously laid in a way that water drains towards these drains, though it looks flat to the eye. This avoids any water backing up against the house, because if we get very heavy rain it just briefly pools around the drains. They aren't especially attractive though!

They are both connected to the same rainwater system as the down pipe.

The smaller one out the front had the system you described but it was changed to the same as above. Everyone else on the road has the ACO drain by the house, connected to the rainwater system. Nobody floods, but the patio area is no more than 6 sq m.

They are both connected to the same rainwater system as the down pipe.

Good luck!
Gill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back