Drainage through underground walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was hoping to pass a foul drainage pipe through the walls under the ground although not sure it's going to work now. As pictured, there is four courses of brick sat on on the concrete ring beam, then the block and beam floor will sit on this.

I will need to lintel over the pipe, so that gives me a maximum working height of 225mm to get the 110mm pipe in one end and out the other (about 3100mm span) with the fall.

Looking at the building regs, it says i have to leave a 50mm gap all around the pipe which instantly screws the idea as there isn't room to leave the gap and make the fall.

The other idea from the building regs is to use a rocker pipe which could work, although i can't find enough information about this. What material is the rocker pipe made from? How deep do these have to be? Where can i get them/how do i make one?

If I can't put the pipe through the walls i'll have to go around the extension, although it's tight with fall (i'd have to run all foul at 1:80 and only just make it to the manhole) and it's much more convoluted.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• drainage through walls.jpg
    drainage through walls.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 413
Sponsored Links
Have you seen something similar? I could do it without a 50mm above and below the pipe but do you reckon the building inspector will allow it, or are they pretty strict on this kind of thing? I would ask him but he's difficult to get hold of (took him two weeks to respond to my last email and the next inspection is likely to be the drains).

Not seen in your particular situation but it’s fairly common to have drainage pass through the below ground walls and under the building. Mine pass through gaps in the foundation and have lintels over.

Sponsored Links
Did yours have to have gaps around? in the foundation you have to have gaps filled with compressible material don't you? Was the building inspector pretty keen on the drainage when you had an inspection?

Gap in the foundation was just covered in pea gravel over the pipe. Then backfilled. Inspector seemed fine with this.

It was a long time ago - but loft insulation wrapped around the pipe was deemed ok = pea gravel to support as pils. says;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back